Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

110856-4gen_ipod_touch_stacked.jpg

According to market research firm Asymco, Apple's iPod touch has been estimated to have sold more than 45 million units over its lifetime, or nearly 38% of the 120 million iOS devices cited by Apple CEO Steve Jobs at the company's media event last week as having been sold.
We know that there were 59.6 million iPhones sold through June (from SEC filings)

We also know that 3.2 million iPads were sold.

If we assume about 8 million iPhones and 4 million iPads were sold during August and July, the total number of iPod touch sold is 45.2 million.
Asymco had previously calculated the iPod touch as holding 41% of iOS device sales just as the iPad was launching, so it is unsurprising that the device's share has dropped slightly now that a third device has entered the mix.

The calculations are merely rough guides, as they are based partly on estimates and partly on vague claims from Apple and Jobs of milestones shared as "over X number devices" rather than hard data, but they do provide an interesting perspective on the relative performance of Apple's iOS devices. Apple does not officially break out iPod touch sales in its financial reports, choosing instead to lump it in with all other iPod models in a single line item. Jobs did note at last week's media event, however, the the iPod touch has overtaken the iPod nano as the company's best-selling iPod device.

Article Link: Total iPod Touch Sales Estimated at Over 45 Million

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
no one has a more complete mp3 player than Apple. The touch is just so awesome. Not even tired a* Sony has been able to one-up the touch.

LondonCentral

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
Good luck selling more after that itunes' icon debacle. :eek:

Such a low opinion you must have of iTunes users. We're not so fickle (despite the abnormally large number of whining comments on here).

Anyway, I shall buy a Touch and then flog it when the HTC HD7 and/or Zune 7(or whatever) is released. I like my tech so never really remain loyal to one particular brand.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
This really has been a great device. An awesome pocket computer.

And I fully expected the bottom-end 8GB feature would keep the old specs. But it’s got everything! Retina display, faster chips, mic, vibrate, HD camera, FaceTime, all the new stuff!

As a result, I know people who are considering an 8GB touch as a secondary phone! (It seems they know enough FaceTime users that they regularly talk to in other ways—so why not upgrade to video calls?) FaceTime gives you free international video calls, and you get a great music/video/game player to boot.

Plus it’s really thin. (The only thing I can be jealous of as an iPhone user.)

:D

Staphyl

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2009
That's cause the iPod Touch is awesome!

I don't know about the other people who pre ordered their iPods, but I already got a shipment notification and a delivery date of September 9th. :D

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
ahh another post about a totally silly issue...i mean my pops, getting up in years, can't stand changes but never muttered a thing about the icon...the amount of time spent on drivel like this makes me jump back into my studies, and hope the level of comments gets to good technical/informational levels..once again.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
ahh another post about a totally silly issue...i mean my pops, getting up in years, can't stand changes but never muttered a thing about the icon...the amount of time spent on drivel like this makes me jump back into my studies, and hope the level of comments gets to good technical/informational levels..once again.
It's been a few years, but just maybe... :(

SlamJam12

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
iPod Touch

This is a great product and alternative to the exclusive iPhone. They continue to improve the product and hopefully lead to nice features in the future.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Hold on a cotton picking minute. Didn't Steve Jobs say there were more iOS devices than DS and PSP together?
There have been 133 million DS' sold, even without the PSP sales (59 million) his claim was total unadultered BS.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007

Dude, step into reality for once. Nobody cares about that icon outside of the world of anal geeks such as MR and other tech forums. The average consumer (which represents most of Apple's customers) is just gonna say, "Hey look, new icon for iTunes", launch the app and get work done. They're not posting on forums bitching about some stupid icon as if they have no life. :rolleyes: If you think an iTunes icon is gonna stop people from buying one the most amazing devices (iPod Touch) on the market, you're just plain wrong.

nizy

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2009
Hold on a cotton picking minute. Didn't Steve Jobs say there were more iOS devices than DS and PSP together?
There have been 133 million DS' sold, even without the PSP sales (59 million) his claim was total unadultered BS.

I believe what he said was that they are "outselling the DS and PSP combined", which is different. What he means is that on a monthly/quarterly basis they sell more units. But yes, if you look at the total units the DS has sold more.

SlamJam12

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Misleading

Good catch. That is deceptive, misleading information.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
If the iPhone ever goes to more than one carrier in the US, l wonder whether the Touch will gradually fade in popularity?

Nah, as long as people buying an iPhone have to pay a monthly recurring charge and/or sign a contract, the iPod Touch will be highly successful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.