Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 6, 2010, 03:43 PM   #1
benjidoc
macrumors newbie

Using a Prepaid SIM for iPhone 4

I plan on getting an iPhone 4 w/o contract tomorrow. I called the store and they are willing to sell to AT&T customers. The thing is; my current two year agreement with AT&T expires in 3 days, and I plan on terminating my plan and switch to prepaid sims.

So my question is: do prepaid sims work with the iPhone 4? And, does it have to be an unlocked piece, and can I unlock it myself?
benjidoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 03:58 PM   #2
snowman1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjidoc View Post
I plan on getting an iPhone 4 w/o contract tomorrow. I called the store and they are willing to sell to AT&T customers. The thing is; my current two year agreement with AT&T expires in 3 days, and I plan on terminating my plan and switch to prepaid sims.

So my question is: do prepaid sims work with the iPhone 4? And, does it have to be an unlocked piece, and can I unlock it myself?
I'm currently using the iPhone 4 on a prepaid GoPhone account (0.25 rate plan) and it works perfectly!

Prepaid sims definitely work with the iPhone 4. Just head over to the AT&T store and set up a GoPhone account and ask for a microsim (instead of a regular sim). The iPhone does NOT have to be unlocked (my iPhone is on 4.0.2 right now and there is definitely no unlock for that).
snowman1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 05:20 PM   #3
benjidoc
macrumors newbie

Would this work with a T-Mobile pay as you go sim? It's prices are significantly cheaper (10c/min) compared to ATT(25c/min).
benjidoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 05:53 PM   #4
SDAVE
macrumors 68020

No, it will not work with T-Mobile...unless you jailbreak it and unlock it.

AT&T prepaid works because they're on the same network.

Also remember that under T-Mobile, you can only use EDGE.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 06:02 PM   #5
forceword
macrumors newbie

Data allowance on prepaid

How does this work with data. I have an unlocked UK IPhone 4 that I want to use with a prepaid sim next time I come to the US but I can't get a clear answer on how to get a decent data allowance on a prepaid sim.

Thanks,

Liam
forceword is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 08:10 PM   #6
Sk8mfm
macrumors member

Go to bestbuy and buy the h20 wireless prepaid sim card. This works with a locked iPhone 4. This is what I'm using right now. I think it's 14 cents per minute and 5cents to text!
Sk8mfm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 09:47 PM   #7
snowman1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forceword View Post
How does this work with data. I have an unlocked UK IPhone 4 that I want to use with a prepaid sim next time I come to the US but I can't get a clear answer on how to get a decent data allowance on a prepaid sim.

Thanks,

Liam
Data is pretty costly for prepaid plans.
It's 1MB for $4.99
or 100MB for $19.99...

I hear you can stack the 100MB plans up to 3 times per month or something like that. So you end up having 300 MB at $60.

EDIT: like SDAVE said, t-mobile will only work if you jailbreak and unlock your iphone 4...not possible as of now (because iPhone 4's are already shipping with 4.0.2) but will soon be possible once a jailbreak comes out for 4.1
snowman1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone