Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Inspired

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I know I can make a search on google and find tons of results, but I want to hear some recent applecare purchases done on eBay, has anyone had any issues with purchasing applecare on ebay recently?

I read this ebay guide that kind of scared me a bit about how sellers would sell you the applecare(which they generated the code), and after 45 days claim period, apple will email you telling you that your code was invalid. Or the buyer bought the applecare with a stolen creditcard, etc.

How can I protect myself? or are these risk inevitable when you buy applecare from ebay?

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
get a retail wrapped box.

otherwise the discount you receive on the product compensates for the risk you have to take.

CW Jones

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2009
CT
I wouldn't. I don't care what they're rating is or any of that. All they do is sell you a code. You most likely won't know if it worked or not until you need it a little bit later. Not worth the savings IMO, and I use to think it was a good idea... Then I bought it from Apple.

Inspired

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Anyone selling you the code only is a red flag.

I ordered mine from B&H for $250 and it came with the retail box+receipt.

I'll be sure to try and get a retail box, hopefully ebayers sell Applecare with retail box.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
Don't forget that if you are in education, you get AppleCare at a discount. You can usually get the AppleCare box/warranty in your bookstore or the Apple Education Store online.

CW Jones

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2009
CT
Education is $239 which IMO (if you can get it at that price) Is worth NOT getting it from ebay. :apple:

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
I bought Applecare through Ebay 2 years ago and just recently had to get a replacement MBP due to logic-board. Because the AppleCare was not purchased at an authorized reseller and I didn't have an actually receipt, they couldn't transfer what was remaining or give me a discount. Just a heads up.problems

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
I've bought my last few Applecare's from ebay and haven't had any issues. And from what I remember (esp w/ cashback and all - now no longer available) it was significantly cheaper.

Gavbo

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2010
I purchased the applecare code of Ebay and it works fine for me.

After registered, check the date has changed on the warrently database and call applecare to confirm applecare is on it.

Motherboard replacement no questioned asked.

Hope this helps

fkhan3

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2010
I bought mine off ebay for $130 for my 17" MBP, registered it without any problems. Apple emailed me Proof of Coverage Certificate within couple of hours after I registered.

If you buy it off ebay make sure its from a reputable seller and you receive a proof of coverage certificate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.