Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joudbren

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Apologies if this has been asked already but I've done a quick search and cannot find anything on this. On my current ATV, I can download a movie to the internal hard drive and can store it for 30 days if I don't start watching it.

Once I start it, I have 48 hours (in Canada) to view the movie so I can pause it, stop it and start watching it the next night if I have to or I can watch it as many times as I like within the 48 hour period.

So the question is, with no internal storage on the new unit, how is Apple going to handle this now? What if I have to stop the movie rental in the middle and want to continue watching it the next night? Is the new "cloud" server going to track that info and keep tabs on where I left off in the movie? Or will the unit have a big enough buffer to handle and store the whole movie download temporarily? Will I still get 48 hours to watch the movie once I start renting it? (or will you still get 24 hours in the U.S.?) Will I still be able to watch it unlimited times during the rental period?

Also what happens if the data stream is interrupted while I'm watching a movie? This has happened NUMEROUS times for various reasons so I'm hoping Apple either has a huge buffer in this thing or has some other magic to deal with that. Lots of us remember over a year ago when you couldn't get an HD Apple movie to stream properly/fast to the ATV if your life depended on it! Granted that has since been rectified but I still take comfort knowing the movie is buffering to the drive in the ATV as fast as I can download it while it's streaming.

I know I'm certainly not comfortable being "totally" at the mercy of my internet provider now to always provide a consistent feed while I'm streaming a movie.

Just curious!

James

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.