Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

feuerschlange

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. The contest runs for exactly one week, from the first time stamp of the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

3. Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. A good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography, so it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

4. The judge will choose his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it, and include a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for choosing a new topic and starting a new contest thread, which will again run for exactly one week.

This week's theme: Backlit People
I have been always fascinated by how light spills around the actual human subject. I am very interested in your interpretations, leaving out little basic rules for the actual photograph:

- The photo should not be staged, but rather happened in front of your camera, you having decided the fleeting moment, to take the picture.
- The photo must not necessarily be taken during the time of contest.
- The backlight can be anything, as long, as it wraps a major part of the humans silhouette, from a cars headlight over a flash to even the sun.
- The subject must actually go after something rather than posing or just standing, which goes in line with the first comment (a waiting subject is fine, as long, as it is clearly perceivable from the photograph).

So, that's enough! I am looking forward to your most interesting backlight photographs!

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
Well its a tough one. This is my son lifting up a white bucket while playing outside. It was exactly during golden hour and the light came from behind. The cool part was that that the light was bouncing back from the white bucked into his face so that he is completely enveloped in light. Probably the best snapshot I have taken so far since it was a spur of the moment and I had no idea that i captured this until i got to my computer. It might not be 100% what you were looking for but it passes :)

Attachments

• 07_2010_NikonD700_ 18.jpg
    07_2010_NikonD700_ 18.jpg
    865.3 KB · Views: 141

feuerschlange

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Not much time left.
I will close in a few hours and judge during today.
Make your entries, if you still want to be in :D

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Hope I made it in time, had a couple I really could have entered into this but after asking friends and family they said that this would be the best!

Clickable for lightbox!

Juanbond

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2009
Backlit People

I was down on the pier in Seattle one evening taking some pictures of the sunset. While I was looking for a place to set up this older couple sat down on the bench in front of me. At first I thought they were in the way, but I just stepped back and included them in the shot! Hopefully in 30 or 40 years my wife and are are like this couple.

Attachments

• Couple.jpg
    Couple.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 136

feuerschlange

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Ok - the time is over ;-)
Thank you all for your entries, I will judge them during the evening after work, so please bare with me ;-)

jpfisher

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2006
New Jersey
Looks like I missed the cutoff for judging, but I'll submit this without consideration for being in the contest if that's ok -- from a wedding I shot recently; Leica M3, Summarit f/1.5, Kodachrome 25 --

Attachments

• portraits-52.jpg
    portraits-52.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 130
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.