Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:12 AM   #1
rediffusion
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brooklyn NY
Question Likelihood of hack to play non Apple formats?

What is the likelihood of their being a hack for the AppleTV to allow users to play non Apple formats such as .avi files? Am I right in saying that all streamed content is played via iTunes? If this is correct, I guess the only way around this is converting the files (which is a pain)
rediffusion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 01:03 PM   #2
hipvamore
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CT
Send a message via AIM to hipvamore
yeah this is the main reason why i have not yet bought an apple tv, always thought it was cool. hopefully someone will be able to do something with this version so we have more options with it.
__________________
Hidden In Plain View
15" Macbook Pro, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 250 GB HD; 16 GB Iphone 3GS Black; 16 GB Iphone 4 Black
hipvamore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 01:22 PM   #3
InsiderApps
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
I would imagine not anytime soon, as everything is streamed, so you'd need both ends to work well with each other.
InsiderApps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 01:26 PM   #4
rediffusion
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brooklyn NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsiderApps View Post
I would imagine not anytime soon, as everything is streamed, so you'd need both ends to work well with each other.
That's what I thought
What's the best alternative to the TV?
I predominently want to watch downloaded avi files although Netflix & YouTube would be a nice bonus
rediffusion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 01:37 PM   #5
dmm219
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
the lack of a HD onboard the new ATV will make is a much harder device to hack. not sure if this was one of Apple's intentions or not...
dmm219 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 01:40 PM   #6
OllyW
Moderator
 
OllyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Black Country, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rediffusion View Post
That's what I thought
What's the best alternative to the TV?
I predominently want to watch downloaded avi files although Netflix & YouTube would be a nice bonus
Have you looked at the WD TV Live Plus?

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/index.asp?cat=30
__________________
Some Apple stuff
Some other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/disco-tramps
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 01:47 PM   #7
TheBritishBloke
macrumors 68030
 
TheBritishBloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by rediffusion View Post
That's what I thought
What's the best alternative to the TV?
I predominently want to watch downloaded avi files although Netflix & YouTube would be a nice bonus
I have an idea... Buy your films rather than pirating them..
TheBritishBloke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 07:35 PM   #8
shakesfist
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBritishBloke View Post
I have an idea... Buy your films rather than pirating them..
Can't buy with the new Apple TV. Also, if you buy disks, you can't play them on your new Apple Tv. But you can rent. High Horse, get down.
shakesfist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 08:27 PM   #9
bigpatky
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakesfist View Post
Can't buy with the new Apple TV. Also, if you buy disks, you can't play them on your new Apple Tv. But you can rent. High Horse, get down.
sure you can. buy from itunes on your home computer and stream. if you want to purchase a disk, you can rip it on to your home computer and...stream.
bigpatky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:04 PM   #10
TuckBodi
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmm219 View Post
the lack of a HD onboard the new ATV will make is a much harder device to hack. not sure if this was one of Apple's intentions or not...
On the original ATV you don't need the hard drive to run a hack. I'm running a crystalbuntu USB Disk Image on mine, which can also run on a virgin ATV system. Put the image on a 4gb-8gb flash drive plug it in, and boot up. Runs XBMC great, nice and snappy.

And I've heard there's someone working on an ARM XBMC version, which I'm sure at some point will be running on a boot image (of which I'm sure ATV Flash and Patchstick.ca will claim as their own...).
TuckBodi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:36 PM   #11
bigpatky
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckBodi View Post
On the original ATV you don't need the hard drive to run a hack. I'm running a crystalbuntu USB Disk Image on mine, which can also run on a virgin ATV system. Put the image on a 4gb-8gb flash drive plug it in, and boot up. Runs XBMC great, nice and snappy.
do they make micro-usb flash drives? that might be a problem.
bigpatky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 12:09 PM   #12
dopechess
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
I use a PS3 and run ps3 media server to stream content. works with lots of different formats.
dopechess is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 12:17 PM   #13
dynaflash
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmm219 View Post
the lack of a HD onboard the new ATV will make is a much harder device to hack. not sure if this was one of Apple's intentions or not...
Well of course it will have a hard drive. The question is how big it is. Rumors are that its to be a 16GB flash drive. Which of course it needs to store the os as well as a video and network buffer I would imagine.
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 12:31 PM   #14
Billy Boo Bob
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dark Side Of The Moon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaflash View Post
Well of course it will have a hard drive. The question is how big it is. Rumors are that its to be a 16GB flash drive. Which of course it needs to store the os as well as a video and network buffer I would imagine.
There's also the problem of no USB port on the new unit. Hard to use a patchstick if there's nowhere to plug it in.
__________________
My two favorite teams are Detroit and whoever's playing Chicago.

And it's none of your damn business what Apple gear I own.
Billy Boo Bob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 12:35 PM   #15
NightStorm
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Whitehouse, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boo Bob View Post
There's also the problem of no USB port on the new unit. Hard to use a patchstick if there's nowhere to plug it in.
There is a mini-USB port on the back of the device.
__________________
Mac Mini (2.0GHz i7) | 27" Apple TB Display
15" Macbook Pro Retina (2.3GHz i7) | 11" Macbook Air 1.4GHz
AppleTV (x2)| 32GB iPad Mini (Wi-Fi) | 32GB iPhone 5S (x2)
Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4+ (4x2TB)
NightStorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 12:41 PM   #16
Carlanga
macrumors 601
 
Carlanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PR
check out the Logitech Revue with Google TV when it comes out....
__________________
☻ "A dream you dream alone is only a dream...
... A dream you dream together is reality." ☻
Carlanga is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Likelihood that Apple will release a new rMBP at WWDC? BlargKing MacBook Pro 20 Apr 17, 2014 09:16 PM
Apple TV Appstore = an app for streaming networked Xvid and other video formats? alexjholland Apple TV and Home Theater 7 Nov 26, 2012 08:29 PM
What video formats can the iPod Touch play? MacNoobGuy iPod touch 3 Aug 16, 2012 06:32 PM
Jailbroken AppleTV - what video formats will it play? jataga Apple TV and Home Theater 7 May 31, 2012 08:50 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC