Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VyseTheLegend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
Hey there,

I, like many of you, am very excited for my brand-new iPod Touch, which is currently on-route from Shanghai.

I've been mashing F5 on the FEDEX tracking page all day, and it hasn't changed since this morning. However, it quickly dawned on me that I could simply guess-timate the FEDEX flight is on and live-track it myself with http://www.FlightAware.com.

Based on my knowledge of when the package hit Shanghai (8:38CST), I have determined that this is the exact flight info for the shipment:

FDX28 Shanghai Pudong Int'l (ZSPD / PVG) TO Anchorage Intl (PANC) Left: Tue 08:38PM CST Arrives: Tue 12:29PM AKDT

First of all, the shipment is heading to Anchorage first, as do most shipments from China, and it will land there in about 25 minutes from now.

In other words, expect the tracking information to get updated soon-ish.

From there, if it clears customs quickly, it'll head to a FEDEX regional sorting facility. As of right now, there is no data on the scheduled FEDEX flights out of Anchorage.

But, I will update once it is available.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Mine was also in Shanghai the last I looked, earlier today. This FlightAware seems like a cool site, but it seems like a lot of work to plot out your route. Keep us posted on yours so we aren't all doing the same work.

VyseTheLegend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
Mine was also in Shanghai the last I looked, earlier today. This FlightAware seems like a cool site, but it seems like a lot of work to plot out your route. Keep us posted on yours so we aren't all doing the same work.

I intend to. :)

I figured I'd do something productive for the community, rather than spam "WHERES MY IPOD?!?!?!" on the forums.

In any case, I looked at the history of the flight patterns for this particular plane, and it looks like it traditionally stays in Anchorage for 5 hours, then heads to Memphis (sorting facility). However, occasionally, it sits in Anchorage until the next morning (early morning).

Hopefully, we get lucky, and it leaves Anchorage quickly, because if it does, those with Overnight shipping may get theirs tomorrow.

Link2999

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
I think ours is on the same flight. Mine was picked up in Shanghai at 8:38 and left at 8:55. So far the days are going by pretty quick (seems like I ordered it only yesterday), so that's one good thing. I ordered 1-Day shipping, but I'm hoping I may get it sometime later in the day tomorrow (probably won't happen).

MsMerryMac

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
I ordered 1-Day shipping, but I'm hoping I may get it sometime later in the day tomorrow (probably won't happen).

You know, I kinda was hoping the same thing, that it would be delivered the same day that people can get it in the stores. I doubt it though. Do I regret pre-ordering? Uh, yeah. China to US is a long jaunt so I doubt we will be seeing them before teh 9th. :mad:

Edited: I just checked where mine is at and it arrived in Anchorage AK at noon. Don't know how many more stops before it gets to my house, but I figure if they flew straight through, I could get it tomorrow. Still not holding my breath.

VyseTheLegend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
I think ours is on the same flight. Mine was picked up in Shanghai at 8:38 and left at 8:55. So far the days are going by pretty quick (seems like I ordered it only yesterday), so that's one good thing. I ordered 1-Day shipping, but I'm hoping I may get it sometime later in the day tomorrow (probably won't happen).

It's definitely on the same flight. I also have Overnight shipping, and it's been my experience that FEDEX can/will deliver before their estimate.

However, as I said in my last post, it honestly depends on how long the shipment stays in Anchorage. Usually, it's only 5 hours or so, but if the next flight doesn't leave until tomorrow morning, we won't see the iPods until Thursday.

To be clear: If your tracking information says "8:38 CST" in Shanghai, this is the same flight as mine, which should now be in Anchorage, if my guess-timation is correct.

citizenal

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2010
Here's my updated information on my itouch

All shipment travel activity is displayed in local time for the location
To display the shipment travel activity in local time of the scan, please select "Local Scan Time" time zone option.
Alert: To determine the destination time zone for this shipment please select from the Others list.
Alert: To determine the origin time zone for this shipment please select from the Others list.
No entries found
Date/Time
Activity
Sep 7, 2010 12:37 PM
Arrived at FedEx location
ANCHORAGE, AK
Sep 7, 2010 8:34 PM
In transit
SHENZHEN CN
Sep 7, 2010 7:09 PM
In transit
SHENZHEN CN
Sep 7, 2010 12:22 PM
Left FedEx origin facility
SHENZHEN CN
Sep 6, 2010 9:49 PM
Shipment information sent to FedEx
Sep 7, 2010 4:25 AM
Picked up
SHENZHEN CN

VyseTheLegend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
Edited: I just checked where mine is at and it arrived in Anchorage AK at noon. Don't know how many more stops before it gets to my house, but I figure if they flew straight through, I could get it tomorrow. Still not holding my breath.

Same for me! I knew it; my guess-timation was spot-on!

Now, the waiting game as it clears custom.

I will keep an eye out for the next flights leaving Anchorage and update the post to give everyone a new estimate.

rbf1138

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Mine just updated with:

Sep 7, 2010 12:42 PM
Arrived at FedEx location
ANCHORAGE, AK

VyseTheLegend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
mine is in Antarctica, wtf man

This is a good thing. Apple shipments go through Anchorage, Alaska for Customs Clearance, then they typically head to a regional sorting facility. From there, it goes to you.

If the shipment leaves Anchorage before tonight, it'll hit the sorting facility in-time for next-day delivery (for those with Overnight).

unr1

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
This is a good thing. Apple shipments go through Anchorage, Alaska for Customs Clearance, then they typically head to a regional sorting facility. From there, it goes to you.

If the shipment leaves Anchorage before tonight, it'll hit the sorting facility in-time for next-day delivery (for those with Overnight).
lol man I was just messing.

It hasn't shipped yet :eek:

Link2999

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Same for me! I knew it; my guess-timation was spot-on!

Now, the waiting game as it clears custom.

I will keep an eye out for the next flights leaving Anchorage and update the post to give everyone a new estimate.

Yup, same again :) It looks like it's possible that I may see the iPod tomorrow ^_^

maus

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
I hate waiting for deliveries. How do you guys stand it? I'm always obsessively checking the tracking number and then getting unreasonably disappointed when I see no changes.

thebrick

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
GA, United States
Mine just arrived at ANCHORAGE, AK lol

Screen shot 2010-09-07 at 5.42.11 PM.png

VyseTheLegend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
Mine just left Anchorage. It's heading to Newark, New Jersey (FDX48) now. It's scheduled to arrive there at 2:00am, Wednesday.

Best part: I'm in New York, so I should have it tomorrow, since I opted for Overnight shipping. :D

codesamurai

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2010
For anyone whose shipping info said that their iPod departed Alaska at 4:08 (their time) should look at this:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/FDX14

I'm pretty sure this is the exact flight. Might be fun for some of you to watch.

If it gets in Indianapolis at 1AM...could it get to me by 12PM tomorrow? I'd like to think so...

Code

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.