Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Sep 7, 2010, 04:05 PM   #1
dexterchip
macrumors newbie

The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition?

Got my first MacBook Pro about 2 months ago and I have been enjoying it to full effect, installing programs such as logic studio and photoshop cs5 on it. Recently, however, I decided that I would like to access some of my windows based programs when I am on the road and don't have my desktop pc with me. So I bought a fresh copy of 32-bit Windows 7 Ultimate and sat at my macbook, put the disc in and then loaded up Boot Camp. I went through the menu options, decided that I wanted a 50GB partition, leaving my Mac OS drive at 182 GB with 83GB to spare. However, when I started partitioning, after about a minute it stopped and this error message appeared:

"The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition. The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows.".

I tried cleaning all my temporary files and deleting some files in my downloads that were quite large and I restarted my machine. The problem persisted. Is there a solution to this problem that does not involve doing all this rubbish with a fresh install of Mac OS? I don't have any method of backup apart from a couple of 4GB flash drives..

My system specs:
MacBook Pro Unibody 13"
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
250GB HDD
dexterchip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 08:24 PM   #2
Tarek
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Tarek Send a message via MSN to Tarek Send a message via Skype™ to Tarek
I have had this problem for a long time and I finally managed to fix it by doing the following:

1) Insert your Mac OS installation disc,

2) Reboot your computer and boot into the installation disc by either holding ALT and choosing it from the menu or holding the C key as soon as your startup your computer and the white screen appears,

3) When you're inside, load up Disk Utility (you will find categories on the very top, one of them has Disk Utility and I assume it's called Applications),

4) When Disk Utility is opened, click on your Macintosh HD (not the partition, but the hard drive itself) and Check & Repair disk permissions then Check & Repair the disk itself.

5) Restart your computer and load into Macintosh OS normally, run Boot Camp, and partition. It will work like a charm.

If something still doesn't go right, email me: tarek.elsakka@hotmail.com and I will try to help you.
Tarek is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac