Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Anyone with an iphone 4 that wants to preserve their unlockable baseband while still updating to 4.1 or future firmware can grab the latest version of TinyUmbrella and sit back and wait for the JB.
http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

TinyUmbrella has been updated in anticipation of the imminent release of iOS 4.1.

What's New in This Version:
● Baseband Protection - Updating to 4.1 using TinyUmbrella will protect your baseband from update. THIS ONLY APPLIES TO IPHONE 4!!!!! If you have a 3G or 3GS and you update to 4.1 your baseband will likely be updated.
● SHSH Retrieval from Cydia - If you don't have your SHSH locally, TinyUmbrella will request them from Cydia on-demand; allowing the restore to continue
● Automatically point hosts to Cydia - Once you close TinyUmbrella, it points your hosts file to Cydia (for further baseband protection and update/restores without TinyUmbrella)
● iPod Touch 4G 4.1 support

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
● Baseband Protection - Updating to 4.1 using TinyUmbrella will protect your baseband from update. THIS ONLY APPLIES TO IPHONE 4!!!!! If you have a 3G or 3GS and you update to 4.1 your baseband will likely be updated.

I'm very curious as to how Tinyumbrella does this without creating a custom firmware.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
I'm very curious as to how Tinyumbrella does this without creating a custom firmware.

Me too:)
I just opened up the new TU version to check it out but didnt see any new button that would accomplish that.
I was able to retrieve all my SHSH's from cydia and save them to my hard drive and USB drive though. Pretty cool feature.
We just gotta wait and see I guess.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California

From the blog comments by "Christoph":

For info: The bootloader/baseband has now 2nd SHSH. This SHSH can't be saved right now, so a firmware restore with the same iOS 4.0.X Baseband will fail after Apple isn't handing out someone. (Until Baseband update) but it will remain on the iPhone.

If you edit the hosts iTunes doesn't get this SHSH for the baseband so the restore will and in error 1004. Just press "Kick device out of recovery" and everything is working again.

The only way to disable it on the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3Gs is to create a custom firmware which patches the baseband update in the firmware.

S-

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
From the blog comments by "Christoph":

For info: The bootloader/baseband has now 2nd SHSH. This SHSH can't be saved right now, so a firmware restore with the same iOS 4.0.X Baseband will fail after Apple isn't handing out someone. (Until Baseband update) but it will remain on the iPhone.

If you edit the hosts iTunes doesn't get this SHSH for the baseband so the restore will and in error 1004. Just press "Kick device out of recovery" and everything is working again.

The only way to disable it on the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3Gs is to create a custom firmware which patches the baseband update in the firmware.

S-

That explains then why some people that updated to the 4.1GM had the old baseband still. They had their hosts edited to redirect to cydias server.
Then TU doesnt do much but put back your hosts redirect to Cydia - Once you close the program.
Thanks for the info bro.

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
this is good news! makes it less of a hassle to wait for the unlock game haha... now for the 4.1 jb :D

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
That explains then why some people that updated to the 4.1GM had the old baseband still. They had their hosts edited to redirect to cydias server.
Then TU doesnt do much but put back your hosts redirect to Cydia - Once you close the program.
Thanks for the info bro.

You're welcome. I was curious as well....

S-

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the info bro.

This is also why you can downgrade your baseband right now. 4.0.2 is still being signed along with its baseband, so if you upgraded to 4.1 to try it out, you can still go back and have your old baseband.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
This is also why you can downgrade your baseband right now. 4.0.2 is still being signed along with its baseband, so if you upgraded to 4.1 to try it out, you can still go back and have your old baseband.

Wow, that is pretty cool.
I think Apple opened a new can of worms with this new baseband system.
So with SHSH's on file when it comes to iphone 4's along with the firmware we'd be able to rollback the baseband also?

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Wow, that is pretty cool.
I think Apple opened a new can of worms with this new baseband system.
So with SHSH's on file when it comes to iphone 4's along with the firmware we'd be able to rollback the baseband also?

Unfortunately, no. The baseband has a stricter signature check which somehow requires a new one to be generated every time (I don't really know the details, but MuscleNerd says that it's stricter). So, for now, you can only downgrade the baseband while the old firmware is being signed, even if you saved your SHSHs.

edit: here's a post that describes the issue - http://www.hackint0sh.org/589738-post8.htm

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I'm fairly new to this, but should I only care about protecting my baseband if I'm unlocking my phone to use on another carrier?

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I'm fairly new to this, but should I only care about protecting my baseband if I'm unlocking my phone to use on another carrier?

Yes. But it's generally good practice to preserve your baseband even if you don't intend to unlock - an unlockable iPhone typically has better resale than one with a locked baseband. Of course you don't have to worry about baseband updates if you have a factory unlocked iPhone.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
Unfortunately, no. The baseband has a stricter signature check which somehow requires a new one to be generated every time (I don't really know the details, but MuscleNerd says that it's stricter). So, for now, you can only downgrade the baseband while the old firmware is being signed, even if you saved your SHSHs.

edit: here's a post that describes the issue - http://www.hackint0sh.org/589738-post8.htm

Interesting.
In the future I wonder if we'd be able to save SHSH's for baseband downgrades also.
That would be awesome.

vong

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
quick question. i had error 1004 when trying to update my iphone 4 to 4.1.0 (used tiny umbrella to save my shsh onto saruik servers) then i just open umbrella and picked "kick out of recovery" was this safe to do? phone is working now. syncing my stuff back in.

ignus graius

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
quick question. i had error 1004 when trying to update my iphone 4 to 4.1.0 (used tiny umbrella to save my shsh onto saruik servers) then i just open umbrella and picked "kick out of recovery" was this safe to do? phone is working now. syncing my stuff back in.

Yes, it is safe to do. Just did it myself while restoring to 4.1 and now I have 4.1 with the 01.59.00 baseband. I'll probably play with it today and then downgrade and re-jailbreak tomorrow.

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
Interesting.
In the future I wonder if we'd be able to save SHSH's for baseband downgrades also.
That would be awesome.

I think the opposite question is interesting too. What if Apple implemented these stricter signatures that are generated randomly with EVERY firmware restore. That could be a big setback

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008

Yes that's fine. You preserved your baseband that way.

I think the opposite question is interesting too. What if Apple implemented these stricter signatures that are generated randomly with EVERY firmware restore. That could be a big setback

That would really suck:)

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I've only used Tiny Umbrella to save SHSH files to Cydia, so I had no idea that you could update firmware using TU. How does that work?

ignus graius

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
I've only used Tiny Umbrella to save SHSH files to Cydia, so I had no idea that you could update firmware using TU. How does that work?

Click the "Star TSS Server" button in the upper right-hand corner, wait for it to say "Running" in green letters, and then restore in iTunes.

berrytarts

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
I have tried updating to 4.1 using TinyUmbrella and I can assure you that it is confirmed to work. I have managed to stay at 01.59.00 baseband. :) If need be, I will post a screenshot.:)

iPhone-power

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2009
Just make sure iTunes is NOT running when you use TinyUmbrella to install 4.1
And this only works for iPhone 4

Edit: To clarify --> Make sure iTunes is not running when you open TU and click Start TSS server.
If TU auto closes iTunes, then that is a new mod that @notcom added to the latest version.
Sorry for any confusion in the way I typed this the first time.

ignus graius

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
Just make sure iTunes is NOT running when you use TinyUmbrella to install 4.1
And this only works for iPhone 4

TU automatically quits iTunes. I re-opened iTunes to restore my iPhone 4 to 4.1; I don't think there's another way to update to 4.1 without using iTunes (unless you're a dev and use Xcode).

vong

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
at what you guys said about leaving iTunes open. WHOOPS! lol, i kept trying to update my iphone 4 to 4.1. left iTunes open, opened up umbrella then pressed START TSS and went to itunes to update. it didnt let me so i just press kick out of recovery ha. what is the proper way of doing this? so i do not mess up again :)

gumbyy

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2010
I have a jailbroken Iphone 4 currently updated to 4.0.1. My baseband is 1.59.00 . Is everything okay with my iphone atm? Just wondering because I see people posting theirs as 02.10.04.
I know that baseband has something to do with unlocking, and I was also wondering if the baseband is lower does that mean it's easier to unlock?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.