Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arpinology

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2009
I bought a macbook pro in March 2010 and I added most of my music library from my pc to my macbook using dvd-r's.

I noticed a few months ago that I had multiples of the same song. I checked in the iTunes folder for that specific artist and song and I only have one copy of that exact song.

By multiple, I mean iTunes lists it at 60 or so selections for songs. It is usually by artist, and there are only three or so artists that do this. So imagine having 5 albums of an artist with 60 copies of the same song for each song on each album. But there is only one source file for that song.

iTunes says that I have 88 gbs of music whereas the actual music folder is only about 18.5 gbs.

Do you think deleting the itunes library files would correct this? I have tried removing the selections(so removing 59 of the 60 selections) and they pop up again!

Anyone experience anything like this?

It isn't that big of a deal as these 59 extra files are not taking any space; it is a bit annoying when searching for an artist song and then 60 of the same pop up at a time.

Thank you. Any input is appreciated.

arpinology

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
My guess is that all your music is not in your iTunes Music folder. When you moved your music from your PC to your Mac did you allow iTunes to copy all your music to the iTunes Music folder?

arpinology

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2009
automatically add to iTunes folder?

it appears that anything i put into the Automatically Add to iTunes folder in the iTunes music folder is doing this. I just added some things and I noticed multiple copies exist.

maybe i will stop using that folder. Initially the folder worked great and would instantly add everything. now it seems like it is overloaded and not moving files to the regular itunes library.

well at least I know where the source of the confusion is.

i have duplicates in the itunes folder(music folder) and in the automatically add folder. i still shouldnt have 60+ selections of a song though.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
I didn't know about the Automatically Add to iTunes folder, had to go look it up. Apparently it only exists on Music/Media libraries created with iTunes 9 or newer, since I've been using iTunes for a long time I don't have one. It sounds like it's adding them to your iTunes but not moving them and then repeating itself. I just drag and drop my Amazon music downloads on the iTunes icon and it adds them, never had a problem with them being duplicated. Other than that I just use iTunes to rip my CDs (yes I'm one of those people). I believe that there are utility programs that will remove duplicates, but don't know the names offhand. Sorry I don't have anything else to offer.

arpinology

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2009
that seems to be what is happening.

it used to only be like 10 or 20 copies of a song; i have noticed iTunes cycling through and analyzing music upon every start up lately.

I'm going to remove the selections from iTunes, then copy them into the main music folder, then add the folders through iTunes(no auto add folder.) The folder was awesome when I first discovered it too.

I guess I know how I am spending my Friday night.

Thanks for the replies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.