Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
I wouldn't normally post medical problems on a computer forum, but this one is out of interest rather than worry. Last Friday (5 days ago) a big lump suddenly appeared on the side of my forearm, just above the elbow. For a few days it was quite painful but the pain has subsided a lot. Most lump problems I read about are small and appear gradually, but this one is over an inch long by half an inch wide and just seemed to appear. It's really hard (feels like bone, in fact, though it's transverse to the bone). I assumed it was a bite. I never had a fever or felt unwell. It was red to begin with but that seems to have gone now. I would assume it's all over, but I think the lump is as big as ever. Just wondering if anyone has had experience or if there are any doctor's in the house?

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Had any close encounters with space aliens lately? Sounds like an egg mass.

Seriously.... go see a doctor. If you are concerned enough to get some advice, then at least get some qualified advice.

While you are there, could you please ask your doctor why my Photoshop sometimes forgets how to 'save' a file, until I do a "Repair Permissions'? A silly way of making a point perhaps.... and your doctor might even know the answer, but I don't know whether I can trust your doctor's advice about PS. :)

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
Was it right at the elbow? or an inch or so away from the elbow? If it is right at the elbow, could be your bursa. Better to get it checked out by a professional, though.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm going to go out on a limb and post that you probably will be better served seeing a doctor instead of gathering medical advice on the internet.

It could be a simple thing, that will go away on its own, or it could be something that needs medical attention and if the advice given directs you to ignore it and you do, that could cause further health complications.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
Any doctor who gave you advice over the internet without seeing you in person would open him or herself up to a lawsuit... they can even be held liable for curbside consults. I've had a bursa sac in my elbow rupture before, so if your lump was right on the elbow that kind of sounds like what my elbow looked like.

Gout is also a possibility, but you'd be more likely to have had swelling around the area of your big toe first... but not always.

Your best bet is to go in to see the doctor yourself because any doctor here would be insane to give you medical advice without seeing you in person and within the boundaries of an office visit. The best you can expect here is ill-informed speculation, well-intentioned... but still, most likely ill-informed.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I'm going to go out on a limb and post that you probably will be better served seeing a doctor instead of gathering medical advice on the internet.

It could be a simple thing, that will go away on its own, or it could be something that needs medical attention and if the advice given directs you to ignore it and you do, that could cause further health complications.

But seeing a doctor costs an arm and a leg.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Put some Windex on it.

Had any close encounters with space aliens lately? Sounds like an egg mass.

Seriously.... go see a doctor. If you are concerned enough to get some advice, then at least get some qualified advice.

While you are there, could you please ask your doctor why my Photoshop sometimes forgets how to 'save' a file, until I do a "Repair Permissions'? A silly way of making a point perhaps.... and your doctor might even know the answer, but I don't know whether I can trust your doctor's advice about PS. :)

This is such a funny post! :D

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Just sprinkle some crack on it,
WTF.jpg

Why people come to Mac rumors for medical advice?:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.