Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tximacusr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
TX
I have Harmon Kardon speakers with a subwoofer that I used on my old PC; it used a Soundblaster card. Can I use the system on the iMac? If so, how? Thanks for your replies.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
did they connect via any sort of unique/proprietary connectors? if not, as long as they connect optically, usb, or via a headphone jack connector you should be just fine.

tximacusr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
TX
did they connect via any sort of unique/proprietary connectors? if not, as long as they connect optically, usb, or via a headphone jack connector you should be just fine.
I had to connect the audio connections to the soundcard in the back of the tower, so, yes, they were "unique."

Any recommendations on which speakers to buy?

Corey Grandy

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Nova Scotia, Canada
If they plug in via a 3.5mm audio jack (pictured below), then yes, you should be fine. The CNET article says they do, so I believe you are all set.

blog-glossary-3-5mm-cable-jack-connector.jpg

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Well, according to the user manual, it can be connected using either multi-channel audio (3 jacks) or stereo audio (1 jack).

Just use the stereo jack and connect the speakers to the headphone jack in the back of the iMac - which is the common thing to do with 2.1ch speakers.

tximacusr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
TX
I'll try it out this weekend. I hope it works; I'll update. Thanks for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.