Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:43 PM   #1
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603
 
GimmeSlack12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: San Francisco
Stuttering Audio Decoding in Plex 0.85

A few movies of mine have started having difficulty properly decoding DTS or Dolby sound (or any other encoded audio). My receiver is a Sony STR-DE885 with digital audio input. I hope that description rings a bell or two, cause otherwise I'm not quite sure what to say about it. I'm running on an 2.4 dual core 2 iMac 10.6.4. I searched a bit for this same problem but not sure if I was searching for the right thing.
__________________
iMac 24" iBook G4 iPhone 4 iPod 80Gb
GimmeSlack12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 07:58 AM   #2
darkgroove
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I don't think anyone will really help you if you are using the old version of the software. Upgrade and then ask in the Plex forums.
__________________
Admin of http://www.applemediacenter.com (Everything you need for a Mac HTPC!)
2009 Mac mini, 2.26GHz, 4GB Ram, Internal Blu-Ray!, 5TB Drobo Setup
darkgroove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:14 AM   #3
Cave Man
macrumors 604
 
Cave Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Neander Valley, Germany; just outside of Duesseldorf
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeSlack12 View Post
A few movies of mine have started having difficulty properly decoding DTS or Dolby sound (or any other encoded audio). My receiver is a Sony STR-DE885 with digital audio input. I hope that description rings a bell or two, cause otherwise I'm not quite sure what to say about it. I'm running on an 2.4 dual core 2 iMac 10.6.4. I searched a bit for this same problem but not sure if I was searching for the right thing.
If it's passing it to the receiver then that substantially reduces the load on your iMac since Plex isn't doing the decoding of the audio stream. Does your receiver register the signal as DTS or DD, or just as stereo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgroove View Post
I don't think anyone will really help you if you are using the old version of the software. Upgrade and then ask in the Plex forums.
You're kidding, right?
__________________
2012 Mac Mini; i5 Quad Core ITX Hackintosh with Blu-ray playback HTPC; 1 TB eSATA Apple TV; 3.8 gHz i7 Quad Core Hackintosh, 2GB HD5870; MacBook Pro i7; MacBook Air; iPhone 4s; 1st Mac=Centris 610
Cave Man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 12:02 PM   #4
GimmeSlack12
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
GimmeSlack12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Man View Post
If it's passing it to the receiver then that substantially reduces the load on your iMac since Plex isn't doing the decoding of the audio stream. Does your receiver register the signal as DTS or DD, or just as stereo?
The funny thing is that it used to work fine. I'm really not sure what happened between it decoding correctly and not. My receiver is registering the signal as DTS or DD or whatever but it isn't consistent (hence the stuttering). It'll play for a few seconds and then off/on off/on then off in a random fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Man View Post

You're kidding, right?
I'll admit I've been lazy about finding v.0.90 I wasn't sure if it was even available.

EDIT: I guess v.0.9.21 is the newest version, hmm I think my laziness is to blame not my receiver.
__________________
iMac 24" iBook G4 iPhone 4 iPod 80Gb
GimmeSlack12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 07:48 PM   #5
GimmeSlack12
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
GimmeSlack12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: San Francisco
Ok the newest Plex isn't fixing the issue. The file in particular is the Dark Knight in .m2ts format. As I watched the movie in Plex I looked at the audio panel and it said Undetermined Audio. Probably easiest fix is to just download the file again (torrent).
__________________
iMac 24" iBook G4 iPhone 4 iPod 80Gb
GimmeSlack12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[HOW TO] iMac 27" (mid 2011) two SSDs in RAID 0 config + HDD th0rr iMac 43 Oct 11, 2013 10:51 AM
Mac Pro Distortion on Line in Audio? turbobass Mac Pro 3 Jun 1, 2011 03:12 PM
Audio Settings in Plex on ATV2 Blazer5913 Apple TV and Home Theater 1 May 24, 2011 10:59 AM
Hardware Accelerated H.264 Decoding on Plex Sky Blue Apple TV and Home Theater 14 May 2, 2010 05:13 PM
iTunes integration in Plex 0.7 Cave Man Apple TV and Home Theater 9 Jan 11, 2009 01:05 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC