Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:43 PM   #1
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

Stuttering Audio Decoding in Plex 0.85

A few movies of mine have started having difficulty properly decoding DTS or Dolby sound (or any other encoded audio). My receiver is a Sony STR-DE885 with digital audio input. I hope that description rings a bell or two, cause otherwise I'm not quite sure what to say about it. I'm running on an 2.4 dual core 2 iMac 10.6.4. I searched a bit for this same problem but not sure if I was searching for the right thing.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 07:58 AM   #2
darkgroove
macrumors member

I don't think anyone will really help you if you are using the old version of the software. Upgrade and then ask in the Plex forums.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:14 AM   #3
Cave Man
macrumors 604

Location: Neander Valley, Germany; just outside of Duesseldorf
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeSlack12 View Post
A few movies of mine have started having difficulty properly decoding DTS or Dolby sound (or any other encoded audio). My receiver is a Sony STR-DE885 with digital audio input. I hope that description rings a bell or two, cause otherwise I'm not quite sure what to say about it. I'm running on an 2.4 dual core 2 iMac 10.6.4. I searched a bit for this same problem but not sure if I was searching for the right thing.
If it's passing it to the receiver then that substantially reduces the load on your iMac since Plex isn't doing the decoding of the audio stream. Does your receiver register the signal as DTS or DD, or just as stereo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgroove View Post
I don't think anyone will really help you if you are using the old version of the software. Upgrade and then ask in the Plex forums.
You're kidding, right?
Old Sep 9, 2010, 12:02 PM   #4
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Man View Post
If it's passing it to the receiver then that substantially reduces the load on your iMac since Plex isn't doing the decoding of the audio stream. Does your receiver register the signal as DTS or DD, or just as stereo?
The funny thing is that it used to work fine. I'm really not sure what happened between it decoding correctly and not. My receiver is registering the signal as DTS or DD or whatever but it isn't consistent (hence the stuttering). It'll play for a few seconds and then off/on off/on then off in a random fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Man View Post

You're kidding, right?
I'll admit I've been lazy about finding v.0.90 I wasn't sure if it was even available.

EDIT: I guess v.0.9.21 is the newest version, hmm I think my laziness is to blame not my receiver.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 07:48 PM   #5
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

Ok the newest Plex isn't fixing the issue. The file in particular is the Dark Knight in .m2ts format. As I watched the movie in Plex I looked at the audio panel and it said Undetermined Audio. Probably easiest fix is to just download the file again (torrent).

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater