Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Wondering if anyone has purchased any of those ebay el-chepo fm transmitters and how well they work?

I dont have a AUX jack on my stereo in the car so i wanted to pick one of these up..

I did look around and apparently the FM transmitters from the 3G and 3GS should work just fine with the iPhone4.

I couldnt find any other threads on this specific topic I'm just looking for something cheap and preferably charges it too while plugged in and that works.

Trying to use the iP4 in the car and using one of the Radio Apps.. getting sick of burning cds and trying to keep up with the latest tunes..

Anyone out there made a purchase on ebay about this?

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
http://cgi.ebay.com/FM-Transmitter-...945062?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item563f5864e6

When getting these, or any FM transmitter, the old saying of you get what you pay for is VERY true.

I've had quite a few of these transmitters and wound up returning all of them due to poor reception, crappy construction, etc, etc, etc.

Don't know how long you intend on keeping your car but I'd seriously recommend either modding your factory radio to direct connect with a 30 pin adapter OR go out and buy a cheapo head unit with an aux input. It'll be a little more expensive but well worth it in the long run IMO.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
http://cgi.ebay.com/FM-Transmitter-...945062?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item563f5864e6

When getting these, or any FM transmitter, the old saying of you get what you pay for is VERY true.

I've had quite a few of these transmitters and wound up returning all of them due to poor reception, crappy construction, etc, etc, etc.

Don't know how long you intend on keeping your car but I'd seriously recommend either modding your factory radio to direct connect with a 30 pin adapter OR go out and buy a cheapo head unit with an aux input. It'll be a little more expensive but well worth it in the long run IMO.

What do you mean by this 30pin adapter? An FM Modulator thats directly wired in?

esadb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
This is the back of the stereo..

Attachments

• back.PNG
    back.PNG
    64.5 KB · Views: 141

triptyx

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
Hrm, looks like you're probably out of luck back there.

I might avoid the EBay route, but I did buy a Belkin FM transmitter from Best Buy about 7 years ago for my MP3 player to use in the car. It worked reasonably well so long as one of the frequencies you were trying to use wasn't close to a frequency of a passing radio station. In some larger cities, this was difficult. You'll want one that has more than one option for the frequency it transmits on.

I mainly used it for when I was traveling. These days, I got an AUX 6-disc adapter for my radio to use with the Sat Radio - it has a 1/8" plug that also works with my iPhone/iPod when I want to use it. That option doesn't appear to help you if that diagram is complete.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.