Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hipollito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Hello.

I want to buy a used imac G3 that has the followind specs:

imac G3 500mhz
256M of Ram
20 gb hard drive
slot cd rom drive
with usb ports, fire wire and ethernet.

The OS that its running is the OS X 10.1.3. I want to buy it, add a 512 pc100 RAM and change the hard drive to a bigger one.

My question is that after that, I want to install Tiger on it. I have the install cd that came with my macbook but I think those wont work since my macbook is intel based, the cds are grey ones so I cant use them right?

Any way if a get a tiger install cd, would I be able to install tiger on it?? I´m guessing that f it already has the 10.1.3 the firmware is up to date and upgrading to tiger won´t be that hard, am I right?

I know that maybe I will have to change the cd rom to a dvd rom, so I can install tiger that comes in a dvd. But what do you think??

Thanks

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
It is possible to run Tiger on this Mac. I have an iMac G3 400MHz which runs Tiger just fine. Be sure to get the PPC DVD, it has an X on it, unlike the Intel ones which, as you said, are gray.

Normally you should be able to read DVDs with this computer: it is newer than mine, and mine had a DVD drive.

MacForScience

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
USA
Hello.

I want to buy a used imac G3 that has the followind specs:

imac G3 500mhz
256M of Ram
20 gb hard drive
slot cd rom drive
with usb ports, fire wire and ethernet.

The OS that its running is the OS X 10.1.3. I want to buy it, add a 512 pc100 RAM and change the hard drive to a bigger one.

My question is that after that, I want to install Tiger on it. I have the install cd that came with my macbook but I think those wont work since my macbook is intel based, the cds are grey ones so I cant use them right?

Any way if a get a tiger install cd, would I be able to install tiger on it?? I´m guessing that f it already has the 10.1.3 the firmware is up to date and upgrading to tiger won´t be that hard, am I right?

I know that maybe I will have to change the cd rom to a dvd rom, so I can install tiger that comes in a dvd. But what do you think??

Thanks

I wouldn't go past Jaguar or 10.2 with that computer even with the additional ram a G3 processor is really to slow to be efficient at running Tiger. If you plan on running more then one application at a time 10.2 is your best bet. If the question is will it run? Yes, will it run well? I doubt it.

Cheers

hipollito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Ok. I was able to get the mac os 10.3 panther discs from a friend, and also I got the tiger in cd, so, I plan on installing panther first and test...and then see if I can get tiger on it. I used to have an ibook g4 with panther and it was great, and this g3 wont be used for big things just office and internet so panther will be just fine, although I sure wantit to be on tiger...just to have it to the max update :D

hipollito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
hello, ok the update...

I installed the hard disk and everything works fine I bought a kingston pc 133 ram 512 mg and it was damaged so I installed tiger with only 256 of ram, that´s the minimum required.

I changed the 512 ram for a new one and installed it and everything works, ram was recognized by the mac and everything ok, but wait....it started to freeze unexpectedly.

I have know 640 mb of ram one 512 dimm and one 128 dimm.....but it keeps on freezing....and right know I went back to the original ram configuration and it is working all right, no freezing and not to slow...

So...Is my bad luck big enough..so my new 512 ram is also damaged, or pc 133 not compatible?? or do I have to put two dimm´s of the same memory? I mean is it mandatory to use 2 x 512 mb RAM ??? or what do you think s happening?? Do I have to buy 2x 512 for it to work fine??

Thanks in advance I know they are a lot of quiestions but I have been all day working on this and I want it to run fine already!!

Thanks

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Normally PC133 is compatible, it can run at PC100 speed too.

I have the same exact config on my iMac G3 (one 128 PC100 and one 512PC133). It's been running like this for 6 years I think and it works very well.

Maybe you should get a stick from a different manufacturer...

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
bad luck with ram , get crucial ram or kingston
or if thats to expensive
look up ebay for a shop called global-memory
you bid and you HAVE TO tell them what Mac you got and only then they send you the ram out if you dont tell them you wont receive the ram , safe you and them the hassle of sending ram forward and backwards
they are competitive and
guaranteed to work with the computer you told them and lifetime warranty
cant ask for more
best shop for ram i found over the last years

hipollito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Wel..Turns out even with the original ram Dimms it is still freezing, I installed tiger again and no improvement, I thought it was gone but no, it froze.

So Maybe Ram is not the issue, I updated firmaware and os 9, I don´t know what else could be...maybe Tiger is the one messing up...Next step is installing panther....anyways its not too different from tiger.

Any thoughts??

thanks!!

drewdle

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Nanaimo, BC
Boot the machine from the installer CD and run a full diagnostic check on your hard drive. Go to Disk Utility and use "Verify Disk", in other words, and use the full option (it will take a while). Then we can rule that out as a possibility. Also, when you reinstall Tiger, make sure you go into Disk Utility and wipe the drive, creating one partition for the install.

If you're still having trouble, for sake of argument I would get your RAM through OWC. Specifically get PC100 dimms. Everything they sell is guaranteed to work on the Mac you select on their web site. I got my iMac memory through them, and that's going on six months with no problems so far.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Hi,

I seem to remember Tiger (10.4) causing a lot of issues with third party RAM which worked fine with Panther (10.3) and back.

It may just be that the RAM you have isn't compatible. I've bought RAM from Tiger Direct that said "Apple compatible" and had a little Apple logo on it, but it still didn't work. Just saying PC100 isn't enough to guarantee the RAM will work with the old Macs. Best to get RAM from a dealer that is Mac specific.

s.

hipollito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Ok...I´m in trouble. today before I install panther I decided to give tiger another try, and know it wont get through the install process from disc 1, It syas you have to restart your computer and know I want to eject the cd..but I can´t since is booting from it every time and the disc utility won´t let me eject while in installer!!!

Help!!! what can I do to eject the disc and just put panther in there!!! Tried to press comand e but nothing happens...:confused:

Anyone knows what can I do???

Thanks

Macanne

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2010
Help!!! what can I do to eject the disc and just put panther in there!!! Tried to press comand e but nothing happens...:confused:

Anyone knows what can I do???

Thanks

Pushing a needle in the little hole right next to the dvd-slot helped me out with a stuck dvd in my iMac G3/400 Tangerine :).

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
Pushing a needle in the little hole right next to the dvd-slot helped me out with a stuck dvd in my iMac G3/400 Tangerine :).

+1

when i got a tiger disc stuck in my blueberry imac (stopped displaying anything because of not doing a firmware update, but that's another story) i used this method, it is a little tricky finding the hole but when you do turn on the mac and push a paper clip into that hole

hipollito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Great!!!

Thanks I found the little hole next to the cd slot, in mine it was really easy to se the hole, this will come very useful!!.

Well installed tiger again but still freezes so panther it is.

Has someone had this freezing thing?

Greetings!!

hipollito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Well....I installed Panther on the Imac g3 with the original ram of 256, when I install the new kingston 512Mb ram....booting stops in white screen or boots but kernel appears....switched to original ram and its working fine.

Something weird is that when it had tiger and the 512 ram it worked and froze...now it won´t even work....so I have bad Ram stick again!!!

Any one knows if the ram should be cl2 or something like that?? can´t believe that I got two sticks of new ram that won´t work, I´m thinking maybe the kingston one it´s not compatible???...

Thanks!!

hipollito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Helo one more question.

I am using this imac g3 for my office..I want to hook up my printer to the G3 and be able to share the printer with my macbook pro, and with a dell laptop.

Imac g3 does not have airport so, is there a way I can connect the two laptops to the imac?? I don´t want to use ethernet cable hooked up to the lap tops, I would like it to be wireless but since the g3 does not have airport, how can I achieve this?? Since all the computers are in the same network (g3 on ethernet and laptops wireless) Would I be able to share the printer?? Hope you understand!

Thanks!

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Helo one more question.

I am using this imac g3 for my office..I want to hook up my printer to the G3 and be able to share the printer with my macbook pro, and with a dell laptop.

Imac g3 does not have airport so, is there a way I can connect the two laptops to the imac?? I don´t want to use ethernet cable hooked up to the lap tops, I would like it to be wireless but since the g3 does not have airport, how can I achieve this?? Since all the computers are in the same network (g3 on ethernet and laptops wireless) Would I be able to share the printer?? Hope you understand!

Thanks!

Buy a USB Wi-Fi adapter. They are supported since 10.2.8, and they are way cheaper than an Airport card.

hipollito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Great!!.

Which one do you recomend, I can get the encore, d.link, trednet, belkin...
And yeah turns out the kingston ram was bad, Imac is happily running panther with 256 mb for now.:)

Thanks!!

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Instead of buying a dongle why not just make the iMac into a Print Server?

I'm thinking that the printer would connect to the iMac via USB, the iMac connects to the router via Ethernet cable, and the other computers connect wirelessly or through ethernet cable to the router. The iMac would become the print server once you download the printer's driver and activate Printer Sharing in System Preferences. Given that you have a PC in the mix you would have to do a bit more tweaking but it should work.

Here's a link explaining the process. It's for Tiger, but Panther is very similar.

http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3012.html

Apple offers a Bonjour Print Services download that you could try if the above doesn't work. The link below explains the same process but using the Bonjour download.

http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3014.html

Don't forget that when you do get around to upgrading the hard drive that it must be partitioned and the first partition must be smaller than 8GB and have OS X on it only.

Again, order memory from a Mac dealer like Other World Computers or CanadaRam so as to not have the freezing problems. The old Mac's were very particular with their choices of RAM. Unfortunately it is never the cheapest RAM that works.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
Buy a USB Wi-Fi adapter. They are supported since 10.2.8, and they are way cheaper than an Airport card.

I picked up an Airport Card + necessary adapter off of ebay for around $15 total shipped. They aren't expensive anymore.

hipollito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Do you know if the kingston kth-vl133/512 is compatible with imac g3??, I am switching my problematic ram for this one.

Thanks!

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Where are you buying the RAM from?

Like I say, the old iMac's are very picky about their RAM and won't take just anything that fits. Businesses familiar with Apple products should be able to get you the correct module for your iMac.

Are you going to connect your printer to the iMac or try purchasing a wireless solution?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.