Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 9, 2010, 05:58 PM   #1
xyphr3
macrumors member

E-mail button question

The button at the bottom, in the middle with the arrow pointing down into the box, what does it do? I can't find my e-mails anywhere after I press it and the manual does not tell me what it does. Thanks for anyones help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.PNG
Views:	44
Size:	846.1 KB
ID:	250939  
xyphr3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 06:17 PM   #2
Noremac4
macrumors newbie

Had no idea that button was there until I read your post. Picked up my phone and opened my mail. There it was. Pushed the button and swoooosh my e-mail was gone and have no idea where it went.

So now, like you, would like to know what this is and where the mail goes.

EDIT: I think it's the trash!
Noremac4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 06:20 PM   #3
swoods93631
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyphr3 View Post
The button at the bottom, in the middle with the arrow pointing down into the box, what does it do? I can't find my e-mails anywhere after I press it and the manual does not tell me what it does. Thanks for anyones help.
Well the button on my phone looks a little different, but it is the "trash"

Old Sep 9, 2010, 06:21 PM   #4
MykullMyerz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noremac4 View Post
Had no idea that button was there until I read your post. Picked up my phone and opened my mail. There it was. Pushed the button and swoooosh my e-mail was gone and have no idea where it went.

So now, like you, would like to know what this is and where the mail goes.
I just did the same thing. It must be some kind of permanent delete because the e-mail I deleted wasn't even in the trash folder. Also, it only shows up on my g-mail accounts but on my AOL account a trash can is there instead.
MykullMyerz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 06:22 PM   #5
xyphr3
macrumors member

I have the trash button when I go to all mail. I was thinking trash too but the e-mails are not in my trash folder.
xyphr3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 06:22 PM   #6
chembox
macrumors 6502a

Note to self: Do not push that button.
chembox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 06:32 PM   #7
swoods93631
macrumors regular

Ok, at first I couldnt find this icon in any of my mail accounts. Not even Gmail (I have three). I do not have "archive messages" turned on. I turned "archive messages on for one of my gmail accounts and poof that icon appeared.... Seems this is for archiving and in the settings page it says it saves them in an "all Mail Folder"..... meh turn it off!

Edit: And sure enough the mail is in the all mail folder in the indivdual accounts..
Old Sep 29, 2010, 08:25 PM   #8
JohnThePacifist
macrumors newbie

what does this button do??

yes same problem here. I use it with a gmail account and I keep losing messages by accidentally hitting the button. Very happy with my iphone but this is crazy...it's like a disguised version of the Big Red Button you never push.
JohnThePacifist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:04 PM   #9
Maskusee
macrumors 6502a

To delete the archive icon and put back the delete icon,
Go to settings, mail, gmail, then turn archive messages off.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:11 PM   #10
Mr Kram
macrumors 65816

That is the archive button. When you archive a message, it goes into the "all ail" folder. Get out of your inbox and you can find the folder in your gmail account page.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:56 PM   #11
1slicks4
macrumors newbie

Smile

the button in mail with the box and arrow pointing down is basically archive button. this should typically appear when your configured using imap. you can find your lost mail in the "ALL MAIL" folder listed within your gmail account folders.. Best wishes!!!
1slicks4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone