Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mosso2000

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2010
Hi everyone,
I've been dreaming for ages of the 27" apple display since I went into the apple store (never go innocently to an apple store!).
However, this is a substantial investment, especially when I know that I will have to buy a 2560 adaptor as I use a PC with no displayport (GTX480).
I was wondering if a 24" wouldn't be better for my use.
I am mostly playing RTS or some FPS like L4D, screen on a desk and chair just in front (so I would say 50cm from the screen). I don't need to use the 27" as TV as the 50" plasma does nicely the job.
So, for such startegy games where every bit of the screen counts, wouldn't that make it too big?
Plus:
Did the 24" already dropped in price or a drop is expected at the release of the 27"?
And finally:
Do you think I am nuts to want to replace my 24" PVA FP241W BenQ (screen so gorgeous BUT not glossy and cheap grey plastic all around) with an apple display?
thanks for your help!

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
The 24" dropped $100 at the announcement of the 27".

A bigger screen just means you sit farther from the display. The main concern is driving that resolution (2560x1600) versus the 1080p display of the 24". That won't be an issue for your GTX 480, but it could become one over time if you plan keeping that card.

Basically, I don't see any reason to choose the 27" over the 24". Both are plenty big. Is there a reason you're not considering IPS solutions from Dell and HP as well?

mosso2000

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2010
Thanks!
Because the DELL solution isn't glossy (and I love the glossy finish, sorry), and I am not actually aware of HP's models (but each time I see a HP display review it's never extremely great).
I have to admit that the U2711 from DELL looks gorgeous, but I guess that the U2410 is a slightly previous generation...

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I see. You won't get glossy in a professional display from other manufacturers (like HP and dell) because it's not the best for color accuracy. So, if you want glossy, apple is your best bet.

HP example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176165&Tpk=HP IPS

You'll want to check gaming reviews for these monitors though. While a superior image comes from IPS panels, they are notoriously slower in response time compared to their TN brethren. Make sure it's a good fit for your uses and don't buy on product image alone.

Tarek

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2009
Cairo
It really depends on the games you play. I have a "24.5 Samsung screen and it is great. 27" can be a little too much, but it'll be perfect for games like Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, etc.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I use a 30" display for gaming.

It's works great for me. I have the Dell monitor so I can also plug in my PS3 along with other computers. That is something you can't do with the Apple monitor.

MacForScience

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
USA
Hi everyone,
I've been dreaming for ages of the 27" apple display since I went into the apple store (never go innocently to an apple store!).
However, this is a substantial investment, especially when I know that I will have to buy a 2560 adaptor as I use a PC with no displayport (GTX480).
I was wondering if a 24" wouldn't be better for my use.
I am mostly playing RTS or some FPS like L4D, screen on a desk and chair just in front (so I would say 50cm from the screen). I don't need to use the 27" as TV as the 50" plasma does nicely the job.
So, for such startegy games where every bit of the screen counts, wouldn't that make it too big?
Plus:
Did the 24" already dropped in price or a drop is expected at the release of the 27"?
And finally:
Do you think I am nuts to want to replace my 24" PVA FP241W BenQ (screen so gorgeous BUT not glossy and cheap grey plastic all around) with an apple display?
thanks for your help!

From one gamer to another the monitor is never big enough. The issues to consider are the following:

The displays are lovely but if you play games especially FPS style games refresh rate is important. 12 ms is slow for a gaming monitor you want around 2-5ms ideally.

In terms cost the apple displays are expensive and unless you love the glossy screen and are totally unwilling to part with the idea you can get a better gaming monitor for less money (not as nice looking from a design standpoint) from Samsung or Dell (those monitors have the advantage of not requiring the mini display port). The U2711 actually has a wider color gamut then the apple displays 1.08 billion vs 16.7 million (apple).

Personally I use Dell Professional P2311H 23-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor (yes its LED based same color gamut).

Now I will totally contradict the direction of my comments by stating I totally understand the urge to buy the display (personally I avoid going to the Apple store because when I do I always walk out with gear I don't need, but its nice :D).

Cheers

mosso2000

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2010
Thanks for your comments.
One thing I don't want anymore is a TN film.
Anyway I've never been a good fragger and can always use the display as an excuse.
I've been reading loads of good things about the U2711 but I am surprised it is quite expensive, £900 in the UK, which will probably be more than the 27" (should be 800?) plus the fact that I can get university discount at apple.
So even with a dvi to MDP converter it would be cheaper to go with the apple 27".

One thing is, does the DVI/HDMI - MDP converter (atlona DP-400 for example) also generates some input lag???

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Thanks for your comments.
One thing I don't want anymore is a TN film.
Anyway I've never been a good fragger and can always use the display as an excuse.
I've been reading loads of good things about the U2711 but I am surprised it is quite expensive, £900 in the UK, which will probably be more than the 27" (should be 800?) plus the fact that I can get university discount at apple.
So even with a dvi to MDP converter it would be cheaper to go with the apple 27".

One thing is, does the DVI/HDMI - MDP converter (atlona DP-400 for example) also generates some input lag???

With the Dell U2711, I don't see why you need any adapters. It comes with DisplayPort (so you can use a miniDP to DP cable), HDMI (for you cable box or maybe console), 2 DVI-Ds (for 2 computers), and VGA (for a legacy device), and other analog ports.

Try the Dell Outlet store. Sure they're usually refurbished, but I can't tell the difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.