Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Sep 9, 2010, 07:47 PM   #1
mellamohoracio
macrumors newbie

compass app ipod touch 4g?

why doesnt the new ipod touch have the compass app? it has a gyroscope so i dont see why it doesnt. also why doesnt the new headphones that come with the touch have a microphone?
mellamohoracio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 07:49 PM   #2
rkmac
macrumors 6502

Compass chip ≠ Gyroscope chip.
They are two different things.

I'm assuming they didnt put the iPhone headphones with the iPod touch because it's an iPod Touch, not an iPhone.
rkmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 07:49 PM   #3
dhlee528
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellamohoracio View Post
why doesnt the new ipod touch have the compass app? it has a gyroscope so i dont see why it doesnt. also why doesnt the new headphones that come with the touch have a microphone?
do you know what compass is? and what it does?

for second question, ask apple
dhlee528 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 07:52 PM   #4
fswmacguy
macrumors 6502

1. A compass does not work like a gyroscope.

2. The iPod touch has a microphone built-in. It's an iPod; not an iPhone.
fswmacguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 07:52 PM   #5
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
Also why doesn't the new headphones that come with the touch have a microphone?
They cost more. Simple as that.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 07:55 PM   #6
Mr Slippy IV
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
They cost more. Simple as that.
Also, there's a mic in the touch now... No real need to include two. QFT nonetheless.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 07:55 PM   #7
mellamohoracio
macrumors newbie

i just think its stupid how apple discluded the full retina display of the iphone 4 and having 256mg of ram than 512mb and other things ike the compass just to maintain its thinness. honestly i dont give a crap about thinness.
mellamohoracio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 07:56 PM   #8
Intell
macrumors P6

Its not all about thinness. It's mostly about price. Those fancy things cost a lot of money.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 07:58 PM   #9
fswmacguy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
i just think its stupid how apple discluded the full retina display of the iphone 4 and having 256mg of ram than 512mb and other things ike the compass just to maintain its thinness. honestly i dont give a crap about thinness.
Apple sells an unlocked iPhone for $700.

Apple sells a regular iPod touch for $230.

You want a $700 device for $230. You're asking a little much, aren't you?
fswmacguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 08:01 PM   #10
rkmac
macrumors 6502

if you dont care about thinness, carry separate gadgets around with you for everything. Go grab a GPS unit, and iPod, a PSP and a digital camera.

256MB of RAM is enough. People got all hyped that it would have 512 like the iPhone 4, but you have to understand the price difference involved. To add 256 more RAM would rise the price even more above where it already sits over the previous generation.

Sadly, I have to agree about the screen though. It would have been nice to see it being IPS like the iPhone 4's screen.
rkmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 09:09 PM   #11
LanEvo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmac View Post
if you dont care about thinness, carry separate gadgets around with you for everything. Go grab a GPS unit, and iPod, a PSP and a digital camera.

256MB of RAM is enough. People got all hyped that it would have 512 like the iPhone 4, but you have to understand the price difference involved. To add 256 more RAM would rise the price even more above where it already sits over the previous generation.

Sadly, I have to agree about the screen though. It would have been nice to see it being IPS like the iPhone 4's screen.
I agree, guys 256mb RAM is plenty, look at your old 3G Touches, have you ever had any problems with opening multiple apps?

Last edited by LanEvo; Sep 9, 2010 at 09:15 PM.
LanEvo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 09:14 PM   #12
cpucrash0
macrumors regular

people who complain about this what they really are looking for is an Iphone 4 so why don't you who complain and want all these features get an iphone 4?
cpucrash0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 03:00 PM   #13
nemopaice
macrumors newbie

I don't know but some of these newer apps cause me to run out of memory. So it would be nice to have more. Who cares about the extra cost if we are willing to pay it. As for the iPhone, if I could get it with verizon then sure, but AT&T sucks. Another thing that the iPod lacks in is it's Bluetooth capabilities. I cant send files from my phone to the iPod or vice versa. Love the iPod but apple really don't hear the public like they would have us to believe. A lot of apple diehards will defend it regardless but there are way too many people that feel the same way to have certain things overlooked.

Just my two cents. Personally I got the iPod because I love apple products. But there are other devices coming out that will offer what apple won't. So to take an attitude of "well get an iPhone if you want those kinds of things", is a mistake. Not to mention a juvenile type of statement. Their 0.7 mp camera kinda sucks too. Plus claim HD video but it's really just stretched to fit that aspect ratio.

I have read, seen, and heard a lot of people that are starting to look elsewhere in order to satisfy their multi-tasking lifestyles. Which is what this feature thing is really all about; mutt-tasking. One device that will satisfy multiple needs. The phone part is great but not a selling point when your forced to choose only one cellular provider.

I am not and wouldn't suggest that they match iPhone features exactly, but at least meet half way and/or pay attention to what the competition is doing.

Last edited by nemopaice; Nov 29, 2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: spelling
nemopaice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 07:26 PM   #14
ougum
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemopaice View Post
I don't know but some of these newer apps cause me to run out of memory. So it would be nice to have more. Who cares about the extra cost if we are willing to pay it. As for the iPhone, if I could get it with verizon then sure, but AT&T sucks. Another thing that the iPod lacks in is it's Bluetooth capabilities. I cant send files from my phone to the iPod or vice versa. Love the iPod but apple really don't hear the public like they would have us to believe. A lot of apple diehards will defend it regardless but there are way too many people that feel the same way to have certain things overlooked.

Just my two cents. Personally I got the iPod because I love apple products. But there are other devices coming out that will offer what apple won't. So to take an attitude of "well get an iPhone if you want those kinds of things", is a mistake. Not to mention a juvenile type of statement. Their 0.7 mp camera kinda sucks too. Plus claim HD video but it's really just stretched to fit that aspect ratio.

I have read, seen, and heard a lot of people that are starting to look elsewhere in order to satisfy their multi-tasking lifestyles. Which is what this feature thing is really all about; mutt-tasking. One device that will satisfy multiple needs. The phone part is great but not a selling point when your forced to choose only one cellular provider.

I am not and wouldn't suggest that they match iPhone features exactly, but at least meet half way and/or pay attention to what the competition is doing.
What exactly is the competition doing? Name one Mp3 player that'll do all that the the touch will do.
ougum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2010, 12:19 AM   #15
ronster22
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemopaice View Post

The memory issues you see maybe a by-product of the 4G Retina Display; more pixels, more memory usage. 256MB may be fine on a device with 320 x 480 resolution, but I would think it's bare minimum for a device with 4 times the resolution.

More Bluetooth profiles would be nice, but now the 4G has a built in mic so no need for HFP. It would be cool to able to sync thru Bluetooth.

0.7MP for the camera is kinda crappy, but there was no camera for the previous gens, so there's no real standard to judge by (and you cant use iPhone as a benchmark as it's the premium device). I do agree I hope they add the 2.0MP sensor (from the iPhone 3G) for the 5G version.

I did want GPS and full Bluetooth and compass etc for this version. But let's face it, it's a 300 dollar PMP that's REALLY close (75 - 80% more like) to the premium PMP/phone that's 700 dollars.

Last edited by ronster22; Dec 1, 2010 at 03:06 AM. Reason: typo...see bold.
ronster22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2010, 02:05 AM   #16
TheMacBookPro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronster22 View Post
The memory issues you see maybe a by-product of the 4G Retina Display; more pixels, more memory usage. 256MB may be fine on a device with 320 x 240 resolution, but I would think it's bare minimum for a device with 4 times the resolution.

More Bluetooth profiles would be nice, but now the 4G has a built in mic so no need for HFP. It would be cool to able to sync thru Bluetooth.

0.7MP for the camera is kinda crappy, but there was no camera for the previous gens, so there's no real standard to judge by (and you cant use iPhone as a benchmark as it's the premium device). I do agree I hope they add the 2.0MP sensor (from the iPhone 3G) for the 5G version.

I did want GPS and full Bluetooth and compass etc for this version. But let's face it, it's a 300 dollar PMP that's REALLY close (75 - 80% more like) to the premium PMP/phone that's 700 dollars.
All previous iPod touches have had 320x480 screens, not QVGA (240x320).
Old Dec 1, 2010, 03:04 AM   #17
ronster22
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMacBookPro View Post
All previous iPod touches have had 320x480 screens, not QVGA (240x320).

Sorry typo. Funny enough I found an old IPAQ PDA in my junk drawer on the weekend and it has 320 x 240 resolution...guess I had that on the brain.

My bad.
ronster22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch