Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Sep 9, 2010, 08:28 PM   #1
iowamensan
macrumors 6502

Apple tv alternative?

First, don't thrash me for looking for something other than an apple tv on an apple tv board. I have an apple tv, it gets used daily, and i love it. However, I'm going to be camping in the infield at talladega speedway next month and my friends rv has a tv with only composite inputs. I would love to buy the new apple tv, and probably will anyway but i won't be able to use my old one in the rv. Im looking at being able to put a good number of my movies on an external, plug that into a device to play them on the tv. Ive been looking at the WD HD TV device, and I think it will do what i want it to. They have a mini version but from what i gather it can't play H264 movies and mp4s. All of my movies are encoded using the handbrake apple tv setting, so i don't think it will play them from my limited knowledge of video formats.

I'm just looking for some advice on what the best device would be for what i want it to do, and I don't really want to spend a bunch of money because it might only be used for this trip. If it does streaming from a wireless connection a la apple tv, I might continue to use it, but the device i see with that feature cost considerably more. There is a reconditioned WD HD TV on amazon for 56 bucks. If that device will work for what I am looking for, that might be the best bet.

Anyone have any experience with other digital media devices?
Thanks,
Geoff
iowamensan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 08:39 PM   #2
rprebel
macrumors 6502

I found a couple of pretty cheap options on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Component-Vide...p_ob_e_title_3
http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-RCA-VGA-C...p_ob_e_title_1
Both are $10-$15.
rprebel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 08:41 PM   #3
nobunaga209
macrumors 6502a

The WD TV Live is a GREAT product! Short of a Mac Mini it plays everything you throw at it and handles various audio formats too. I've had one for about a year now and highly recommend it.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:24 PM   #4
iowamensan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprebel View Post
I found a couple of pretty cheap options on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Component-Vide...p_ob_e_title_3
http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-RCA-VGA-C...p_ob_e_title_1
Both are $10-$15.
I was almost intrigued by the second one, till I read the reviews.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:31 PM   #5
rprebel
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowamensan View Post
I was almost intrigued by the second one, till I read the reviews.
Oops, guess I should have read those myself. I have heard good things about WD TV.
rprebel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:59 PM   #6
Andy0568
macrumors member

Some Internet rumblings have been saying the Google TV will come out in October...just my $.02
Andy0568 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:48 AM   #7
amorya
macrumors regular

Quote:
my friends rv has a tv with only composite inputs. I would love to buy the new apple tv, and probably will anyway but i won't be able to use my old one in the rv.
You will if you hack it. I have an AppleTV I've been using with my standard def composite video only TV.

Amorya
amorya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 08:22 AM   #8
bt22
macrumors 6502

Quote:
First, don't thrash me for looking for something other than an apple tv on an apple tv board. I have an apple tv, it gets used daily, and i love it. However, I'm going to be camping in the infield at talladega speedway next month and my friends rv has a tv with only composite inputs. I would love to buy the new apple tv, and probably will anyway but i won't be able to use my old one in the rv. Im looking at being able to put a good number of my movies on an external, plug that into a device to play them on the tv. Ive been looking at the WD HD TV device, and I think it will do what i want it to. They have a mini version but from what i gather it can't play H264 movies and mp4s. All of my movies are encoded using the handbrake apple tv setting, so i don't think it will play them from my limited knowledge of video formats.

I'm just looking for some advice on what the best device would be for what i want it to do, and I don't really want to spend a bunch of money because it might only be used for this trip. If it does streaming from a wireless connection a la apple tv, I might continue to use it, but the device i see with that feature cost considerably more. There is a reconditioned WD HD TV on amazon for 56 bucks. If that device will work for what I am looking for, that might be the best bet.

Anyone have any experience with other digital media devices?
Thanks,
Geoff

If you already have a lappy computer you could use your current TV and your laptop computer. Store what movies won't fit on your TV on your Laptop and stream them to the TV. You could also use an external HDD with your laptop if you can't get all of the movies onto your laptop.
bt22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 09:08 AM   #9
iowamensan
macrumors 6502

I ordered a refurb WD TV for $35 from eCost... sounds like that is my best option. Thanks for all the advice!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater