Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toadster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Hi I just recently upgraded to Snow Leopard on my Mac Book.

There was no issues except for mySQL wouldn't Work. Did a quick search for the issue and found the simply solution to upgrade to mySQL 5.1. In my haste I download and installed this without backing up my older DB's in mysql 4.1.

Of course now I have a fully function mySQL 5.1 and my old db's hopefully still in the mysql4.1 folder on my mac book. I have know Idea how to copy or import these into mysql5.1. I have limited experience using the terminal on a MAc but have managed to find the old 4.1 folder in the mySQL folder. Anyone know where to start???

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Hi I just recently upgraded to Snow Leopard on my Mac Book.

There was no issues except for mySQL wouldn't Work. Did a quick search for the issue and found the simply solution to upgrade to mySQL 5.1. In my haste I download and installed this without backing up my older DB's in mysql 4.1.

Of course now I have a fully function mySQL 5.1 and my old db's hopefully still in the mysql4.1 folder on my mac book. I have know Idea how to copy or import these into mysql5.1. I have limited experience using the terminal on a MAc but have managed to find the old 4.1 folder in the mySQL folder. Anyone know where to start???

From the MySQL documentation:

If you perform a binary (in-place) upgrade without dumping and reloading tables, you cannot upgrade directly from MySQL 4.1 to 5.1. This occurs due to an incompatible change in the MyISAM table index format in MySQL 5.0. Upgrade from MySQL 4.1 to 5.0 and repair all MyISAM tables (see Section 2.12.4, “Rebuilding or Repairing Tables or Indexes”). Then upgrade from MySQL 5.0 to 5.1 and check and repair your tables.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/upgrading.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.