Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bw1128

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
whats the main difference? seems like everytime i respring it turns off my battery usage time, but a reboot doesnt. strange!?!

so really, whats the main difference or which is better? after installing a app from cydia? after keeping your phone on for a long time?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
they all have difference functions, there is not one better than the other one in general, it all depend of the type of application you installed, some need reboot, some need respring.

Reboot, you actually shut down the OS and restart it.

Hard Reset, is a force reboot

Re-Spring, you only kill the Springboard.app application that handel the UI on top of the OS (the OS stay running but the UI application is re-initiated).

The reason that you usage is reset with a respring is because the OS is not really prepare for handling this event, It doesn't save the state of the counters or registers, so when it comes back, to the OS it look like the phone was Plug in but not fully charge so the couter will be stop until it can reach a "know" point (Full charge).

bw1128

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
they all have difference functions, there is not one better than the other one in general, it all depend of the type of application you installed, some need reboot, some need respring.

Reboot, you actually shut down the OS and restart it.

Hard Reset, is a force reboot

Re-Spring, you only kill the Springboard.app application that handel the UI on top of the OS (the OS stay running but the UI application is re-initiated).

The reason that you usage is reset with a respring is because the OS is not really prepare for handling this event, It doesn't save the state of the counters or registers, so when it comes back, to the OS it look like the phone was Plug in but not fully charge so the couter will be stop until it can reach a "know" point (Full charge).

thanks, i knew you would help. the funny thing is i should know this, but i didnt know why the respring did that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.