Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Hey there,

A couple weekends ago I went to play with iDVD for the first time. When I powered it up, I got a popup message saying "You do not have a supported Superdrive..." - which surprised the heck out of me, since I bought this Powerbook with a Superdrive in September 2003!

I went into the System Profiler and sure enough, it reported a COMBO drive. After a bit of wrangling with Apple on the phone, I got them to agree to replace it... and just got it back today.

Originally I didn't remember ever using the DVD burning capabilities of this machine, so I'd assumed that this was a mistake dating from the original purchase (although I couldn't see how I wouldn't have checked that). BUT, now I remember that I did burn a DVD once: I burned a dvd-iso image of a Fedora Core (Linux) release. So, during either my first or second screen white-spot repair, the drive also got switched!

The moral of the story, if there is one, is to ALWAYS check your machine carefully after it's been out of your hands.

All's well that end's well, I suppose. But I can't for the life of me see how that could have happened! Any ideas? Why would a drive have been replaced during a screen replacement? It certainly is my Powerbook, dings and all...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.