Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saint John

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
I recently got an iBook from a friend. He didn't want it. I took it home and I used the Recovery CD. Everything was going well. I used an audio cd on the iBook, the CD icon appeared on the desktop and it played it. On the other hand, the DVD did not work. I inserted the DVD the icon did not appear on the desktop.
I went to the Application Folder and went to the DVD Player application and it gave me a nasty message: MAC OS X -DVD PLAYER ENCOUNTERED A SERIOUS ERROR. A VALID DVD DRIVE COULD NOT BE FOUND (-70012).

Any suggestions on what I can do?
Cheers

SuperJudge

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
The Triangle, NC
Sounds like your drive is CD only. I was kinda bummed to find out that the iBook I have was the same configuration. Your solutions are to get an external DVD drive or to find a DVD drive that goes in your model iBook on eBay or the like.

Saint John

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Thanks SuperJudge

It was a bummer to find out it did not play DVDs. Thank you!

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
if you are already on ebay to look for a combo dive ..look for a superdrive too, then you can burn dvd's too , they dont cost much more , ok they are rare
and make at least 3 times sure that it works in your iBook
but i would personally not bother with a internal ,externals safe the hassle of taking the iBook apart and are most times cheaper too

Saint John

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
SuperJudge

You are absolutely right, it's a hassle to take it apart. I was looking at the drives on Ebay, and once again, you are right, the drives are cheap. Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it.
Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.