Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Sep 10, 2010, 07:01 PM   #1
harry*333
macrumors 6502

Airport extreme wearing out?

Over the past couple weeks I've noticed that my airport extreme's wireless signal has gone down. I bought it new in 2004, and it's always had a full signal everywhere in the house on multiple computers. Now the signal strength seems to be kinda random, somedays I'll have full signal and somedays it will drop to one 'bar'. I should note that it does have the latest firmware installed, and this happens on multiple computers new and old.

So my question is if anybody has had this experience with airport extremes, particularly older ones?
Small collection of old iPods, iPhones, and MacBooks
harry*333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 08:55 PM   #2
dmn8
macrumors member

Sounds more like a conflict with another wireless router/ap?? I would use one of those wifi scanning utilities, there are some decent ones on the App Store.
dmn8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 09:45 AM   #3
CubeHacker
macrumors 65816

Since the base station has no moving parts, it would be pretty difficult for it to wear out.

My guess is that since you purchased in in 2004, WiFi stations in your area have been poping up like crazy. They all tend to slightly interfere with each other, and this can cause the degrade in connection quality as you've experienced.

You can go into the base station settings and try to change the channel that it works on to a less used one. This MAY help, so you have to take some time to experiment.
CubeHacker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 04:45 PM   #4
harry*333
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubeHacker View Post
Since the base station has no moving parts, it would be pretty difficult for it to wear out.

My guess is that since you purchased in in 2004, WiFi stations in your area have been poping up like crazy. They all tend to slightly interfere with each other, and this can cause the degrade in connection quality as you've experienced.

You can go into the base station settings and try to change the channel that it works on to a less used one. This MAY help, so you have to take some time to experiment.
Thanks, I'll do some experimenting,
This especially sounds like it would explain it, because when we bought it wireless Internet was almost unheard of in my neighborhood
Small collection of old iPods, iPhones, and MacBooks
harry*333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 05:41 PM   #5
Ganesha
macrumors member

iStumber may be useful: It will list the channels of every base station you Mac is picking up on.

http://www.istumbler.net/
Ganesha is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals