Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harry*333

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Over the past couple weeks I've noticed that my airport extreme's wireless signal has gone down. I bought it new in 2004, and it's always had a full signal everywhere in the house on multiple computers. Now the signal strength seems to be kinda random, somedays I'll have full signal and somedays it will drop to one 'bar'. I should note that it does have the latest firmware installed, and this happens on multiple computers new and old.

So my question is if anybody has had this experience with airport extremes, particularly older ones?

dmn8

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2007
Chicago
Sounds more like a conflict with another wireless router/ap?? I would use one of those wifi scanning utilities, there are some decent ones on the App Store.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Since the base station has no moving parts, it would be pretty difficult for it to wear out.

My guess is that since you purchased in in 2004, WiFi stations in your area have been poping up like crazy. They all tend to slightly interfere with each other, and this can cause the degrade in connection quality as you've experienced.

You can go into the base station settings and try to change the channel that it works on to a less used one. This MAY help, so you have to take some time to experiment.

harry*333

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Since the base station has no moving parts, it would be pretty difficult for it to wear out.

My guess is that since you purchased in in 2004, WiFi stations in your area have been poping up like crazy. They all tend to slightly interfere with each other, and this can cause the degrade in connection quality as you've experienced.

You can go into the base station settings and try to change the channel that it works on to a less used one. This MAY help, so you have to take some time to experiment.

Thanks, I'll do some experimenting,
This especially sounds like it would explain it, because when we bought it wireless Internet was almost unheard of in my neighborhood

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.