Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

170158-ipad.jpg

The current iPad model.
Appleinsider claims that Apple may already be in "advanced testing stages" of a new FaceTime capable iPads.
A version of the tablet device with a built-in video camera and support for the new FaceTime video conferencing standard has already progressed to the advanced testing stages, according to a person with proven knowledge of Apple's future product plans.
The followup iPad is said to be due no later than 1st quarter of next year with some suggestion we could see them sooner. The report corresponds to recent claims that the iPad's next-gen firmware contains FaceTime debugging software, similar to that which was leaked prior to the iPhone 4 launch.

Apple released the first (and also current) iPad in April 2010.

Article Link: Apple Readying New FaceTime Equipped iPads?

joeyboy76

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2003
Singapore
I wish Apple will create a camera accessory that will plug into the iPad port so that Facetime can be activated.

I feel it's quite sad if a new model be introduced by January when a lot of countries only got the rollout of the iPads on the second half of 2010.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I certainly hope this is true. My parents are looking to get one, and I'd love to be able to see my beautiful cat whenever I call home.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Ugh, decision begins, keep first original iPad for "geek" value or sell to buy new one.

Reddkryten

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
I don't doubt we'll see a facetime capable iPad in the very near future. However I just have one point to question.

Facetime debugging in the iPad software. From what I've heard iOS 4.2 is the same across all devices, so couldn't that explain the issue? I think I remember hearing something about the 3rd generation iPod touch having some code for a camera...even though that model did not have a camera.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
The lack of a camera was the primary reason I didn't jump for an iPad when they came out initially.

If they'd have had a camera from the get-go I'm sure they never would have caught up with demand. "Very wise, them Jobians."

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
1st quarter of next year sounds about right for the next gen iPad, so I will go ahead and say this rumor is true. It is extremely unlikely that we will see it before next year though.

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York
It would be nice to have facetime on that big screen, though I don't know if I want to hold it for a long period of time in my hands the same way I'd hold the iPhone during a facetime session..

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
They've got until around the end of October before they really start pissing people off (not that they wouldn't have already).

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Hrm...

Glad i just sold my 64GB 3G iPad.

GL

Why? This is 5-6 months away still. Sounds like you are going to be without an iPad for half a year. You probably could have kept it for another 4+ months and still got a lot of money for it.

romz-rac

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2010
the camera and facetime will make iPad one of the most wanted devices on the market im sure gettin an iPad 2 with retina display and back n front camera think i've dreamt of this device :D Apple!:apple:

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
...and this folks, is why I did not buy an iPad. Never buy 1st gen products.

I bought the iPad day one, I knew the new one would come out a year later. What is wrong with buying 1st gen products? If you really want the second gen then all you have to do is sell it before it comes out. Apple products have high resale value so it isn't a big deal.

Besides, personally I don't care about FaceTime on my iPad. Though 512mb of ram would be nice I guess. I probably won't bother to upgrade unless there is something bigger than what is rumored so far (and no I don't believe there will be a Retina Display).

What kind of person buys any Apple product without knowing a new one out a year later? That would be really dumb.

Seriously is there ANY PERSON on these forums who is actually surprised by this news?

adamwhiteley

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2010
NEVER BUY 1st Generation Apple Products

a lesson to you all , NEVER BUY 1ST GENERATION APPLE PRODUCTS

as they haven't had enough real world testing and are too expensive with things missing that are later added by Apple (such as 3G to the iphone, sd card slot to macbooks/imacs, ios 4 to ipad, a working antenna to the iphone 4, blu -ray(?) and now a camera to the ipad).

Wait until 2nd Generation and look in amusement at the cool kids/wanna-be celebs lay down their rent money for the Apple product of the month.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
First Gen iPad was indeed a test run, apple was just testing their waters out, then iPad craze took over, it started selling like hot cakes even without a camera.

I guess with FaceTime and AirPlay, apple echo system is looking better and better in future.

Edit: IF nobody bought 1st Gen apple products, there won't be second gen product. Eg: Cube

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I think I’ll hold off for a true second-gen, but a mini-update to add that one feature would make sense if they think they can crank it out sooner.

NostrilTime!!!

Edit: IF nobody bought 1st Gen apple products, there won't be second gen product. Eg: Cube

True—and anybody who waits for the second-gen faces a whole new curse: the second gen! And seventeenth-gen buyers are stuck being the early adopters when everyone gets the eighteenth gen :) It’s almost as though things keep improving and getting cheaper over time... The frustration of being too much into tech products (like me).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.