Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newrazr

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
I've got a JB iP4 and have been using wi-fi sync largely without issue. Today I did a sync via wi-fi sync and then added a few new podcasts. I exited out of iTunes10 and when I went back in, I got the following error message:

<<iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone "Jack's iPhone". Go to the Summary tab in iPhone preferences and click Restore to restore this iPhone to factory settings.>>

Any idea what's going on? This now happens every time the phone is connected, whether by USB or wifi Sync. The only tab that appears is the Summary tab and the only option it gives me is to restore. It still lists my software version, serial number, IMEI, phone #, etc. but the capacity is now listed as "n/a" and the Name is now listed as "iPhone"

Obviously I'd prefer to avoid having to restore & rejailbreak so I welcome any other suggestions if you've got'em.

newrazr

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion. Tried that and uninstalled wifi sync via the uninstaller. rebooted the Mac but the problem still continues when connected via USB (wifi sync remains uninstalled).

Any other ideas?

I also connected the iphone to a "new" computer that it had never been connected to before and the same error message popped up so I'm wondering if there might be some sort of file in the phone that got corrupted. if anyone has any idea what that might be perhaps I could SSH into the phone and edit or remove the file??

I can also see all the files via iPhone explorer if that makes a difference....

MrThompsonR

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion. Tried that and uninstalled wifi sync via the uninstaller. rebooted the Mac but the problem still continues when connected via USB (wifi sync remains uninstalled).

Any other ideas?

I also connected the iphone to a "new" computer that it had never been connected to before and the same error message popped up so I'm wondering if there might be some sort of file in the phone that got corrupted. if anyone has any idea what that might be perhaps I could SSH into the phone and edit or remove the file??

I can also see all the files via iPhone explorer if that makes a difference....
Did you respring/ reboot after removing the app from your phone?

newrazr

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Problem Solved!

Ended up finding a fix via google (yeah, i know, i probably should have done that first....) but in the interest of saving others from the headaches, here's what I had to do:

Using iPhone Explorer (or via SSH into the phone), I deleted “/private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/iTunesDB” database file and then re-started iTunes. All was well.

Kudos to Bosaka who posted the solution in the comments section here

spiels123

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010
Ended up finding a fix via google (yeah, i know, i probably should have done that first....) but in the interest of saving others from the headaches, here's what I had to do:

Using iPhone Explorer (or via SSH into the phone), I deleted “/private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/iTunesDB” database file and then re-started iTunes. All was well.

Kudos to Bosaka who posted the solution in the comments section here

I'm hoping this will solve my problem. Is this solution just for jailbroken phones? Mine is not. I'm using Vista. If anyone can help that would be great! An annoying problem.

newrazr

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
I'm hoping this will solve my problem. Is this solution just for jailbroken phones? Mine is not. I'm using Vista. If anyone can help that would be great! An annoying problem.

Yes -- it's for jailbroken phones. If yours isn't then I'm not sure how to fix the problem.

spiels123

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010
Yes -- it's for jailbroken phones. If yours isn't then I'm not sure how to fix the problem.

I used iPhone Explorer with my iPhone to delete all the necessary files & music and it worked fine. I guess that software works with iPhones which haven't been jailbroken which is nice! All back to normal...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.