Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Sep 11, 2010, 02:56 PM   #1
infine0n
macrumors newbie

iPhone 3G no WiFi or Bluetooth

Hello,

I am having trouble getting my WiFi, and Bluetooth working on my iPhone 3G. The phone had 3.1.3 firmware, and was jailbroken and unlocked. It was not working in 3.1.3, so I restored with 4.0.1, and unlocked and jailbroke with redsn0w. I am still having the same problem.

WiFi is not grayed out, and neither is Bluetooth.

It does not suggest to be a hardware problem to me because the phone returns addresses for WiFi, Bluetooth, and IMEI..but I could be wrong

Information:

iPhone 3G 8GB
Firmware Version: 4.0.1
WiFi Address: 00:23F:6B:F1:10
Bluetooth: 00:23F:6B:F1:0F
IMEI: 01 177500 345615 3
Modem Firmware: 05.13.04

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
infine0n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 06:22 AM   #2
Julien Aguet
macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem running iOS 4.1
The problem appeared already under 4.0.2, but not directly in connection with an update. It just suddenly appeared.

Wifi is working when I'm about 1-2m away from my wifi router. Bluetooth isn't working at all.

I first thought it might be software related so I installed 4.1 which didn't change anything. I restored completely, not from a back up (pain in the a...) which finally didn't change anything as well.

I looked up the problem on the web and it seems like it isn't something unknown to iPhone 3G users. Some suggest it's a hardware problem and suggest fixes like putting the phone into the freezer or heating the wifi chip as it seems to be a problem related to the metal alloy used in the chip. Temperature should vary the metals properties.

Personally, I tried the freezer option (turning the phone off) during 20 minutes. All I got was an "iCecube"!
(By the way, DO NOT turn the phone on immediately because of condensation which can instantly fry your iPhone.)

In the end, I'm not sure whether or not I should go through the whole dismantling & heating process... Afraid it'll completely fry my phone!

Here are some links:

http://www.iphonetiquicia.com/iphone...at-gun-reflow/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E34y9l49Zc
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....34318#12234318

Anyone's got another idea?
Julien Aguet is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting