Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
I have a router with gigabit ethernet ports plugged directly into my MDD and I'm not getting good speeds at all.

System Profiler:
Media Options: Full Duplex, flow-control
Media Subtype: 100baseTX
Hardware Type: Broadcom 5421

Does that mean that I'm getting 100 mbit speeds? I really notice it on youtube where all of my computers, even my eMac, don't need to wait for the video to load this one will stop many times because the video hasn't fully loaded.

:confused:

MacForScience

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
USA
I have a router with gigabit ethernet ports plugged directly into my MDD and I'm not getting good speeds at all.

System Profiler:
Media Options: Full Duplex, flow-control
Media Subtype: 100baseTX
Hardware Type: Broadcom 5421

Does that mean that I'm getting 100 mbit speeds? I really notice it on youtube where all of my computers, even my eMac, don't need to wait for the video to load this one will stop many times because the video hasn't fully loaded.

:confused:

Go into network settings for your ethernet connection in the advanced section there is a tab call ethernet where you can manually set the speed and duplex mode. (Keep full duplex)

The other thing to consider is when did this issue first occur? Because if it occurred in the not to distant past, or slowly over time, then it may well be a software issue. For example when was the last time you restarted your computer? Have you run the cron tasks recently? Have you repaired permissions? Does this slowness apply to all websites or just youtube? Are any other aspects of your system unusually slow etc.?

What router do you have?

If I am not mistaken the emac doesn't even have gigabit ethernet which makes me think the issue is software not hardware. The fact that your connection is running at 10/100 should not be causing you a problem since that is still 12.5MB/sec. If you are running a file sharing network or other network services this will cause overheads but you probably won't notice unless your internet is supposed to deliver 4-6MB/sec.

Cheers

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
I have a D-link Dir-825. I have the Ethernet set to auto 10/100/1000 so I don't know if it chooses the compatible speed because I have a 100 mbit device hooked up to it. That might be why I'm not getting fast speeds.

MacForScience

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
USA
I have a D-link Dir-825. I have the Ethernet set to auto 10/100/1000 so I don't know if it chooses the compatible speed because I have a 100 mbit device hooked up to it. That might be why I'm not getting fast speeds.

Did you try forcing the speed. Also does your router have any setting regarding its ethernet ports?

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.