Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

windmill83

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
How do I sync my iPad to a new PC without erasing everything on the iPad? I understand that I can use the 'transfer' function of iTunes to transfer my applications, but is that the same as syncing? What about bookmarks, data, etc? There must be some way to change the iPad's home PC without erasing everything. Does anybody know what it is?

windmill83

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
How do I sync my iPad to a new PC without erasing everything on the iPad? I understand that I can use the 'transfer' function of iTunes to transfer my applications, but is that the same as syncing? What about bookmarks, data, etc? There must be some way to change the iPad's home PC without erasing everything. Does anybody know what it is?
I was hoping that somebody could help with this. Is there a way to sync an iPad to a new PC without erasing everything on the iPad?

moomog

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2009
I should think that if you set up your iTunes on the new PC it will be the same as your old computer so that if it syncs it is only seeing the same content. Also switch off auto syncing.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
I'm in the same boat, sort of. I just reinstalled my W7 operating system, so what I did is copy all of my music, videos, apps, EVERYTHING onto an external hard drive. I even copied over my backup files (see: very very important ;))
I'm just going to transfer everything back over to my internal HD today, after installing a fresh iTunes 10 onto it. I'll then connect the iPad and iPhone to it, and hope that everything is good to go. The only thing I'm a little hesitant about is making sure my schedule and contacts sync over to MS Outlook (from the iDevices) well enough that only a few minor changes will be needed.

Unfortunately, if you didn't copy over all your music, videos, all other files, you may be up a creek. Unless you downloaded everything from iTunes, which in it's own way will take hours to redownload everything..

windmill83

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
I'm in the same boat, sort of. I just reinstalled my W7 operating system, so what I did is copy all of my music, videos, apps, EVERYTHING onto an external hard drive. I even copied over my backup files (see: very very important ;))
I'm just going to transfer everything back over to my internal HD today, after installing a fresh iTunes 10 onto it. I'll then connect the iPad and iPhone to it, and hope that everything is good to go. The only thing I'm a little hesitant about is making sure my schedule and contacts sync over to MS Outlook (from the iDevices) well enough that only a few minor changes will be needed.

Unfortunately, if you didn't copy over all your music, videos, all other files, you may be up a creek. Unless you downloaded everything from iTunes, which in it's own way will take hours to redownload everything..
It seems like the process is much more difficult than it should be. Is there anything in the upcoming iOS 4.2 release that would make it easier to sync with a new PC?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.