Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdubya5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
So I dropped my Air today! Very sad day! I'm not sure what I should do I don't have any apple care left. What are my best options?

2ueu45j.jpg

6y05yx.jpg

96kryv.jpg

2eksy12.jpg

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
Ouch. That sucks man.:(

If you can do it, then replace the whole part that was damaged. I am sure you can buy it off ebay.
If you can't do it, sell it for parts. Or maybe if its working then use it with an external monitor.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Take it to an Apple Authorized Repair shop, perhaps. My wife dropped her Air and bent a corner the AA store we bought it from agreed to bend the corner back. It looks ugly, it cost some money. But they have the skills to take it apart. And I'm hoping they didn't put the repair into the Apple repair computer system. We have an AppleCare repair coming up, and plan to take it back to them and argue that the problem is unrelated. I think a corporate Apple store would void the warranty if they saw the damage.

Good Luck, and condolences. :(

Isidore

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2004
London
Not entirely clear from your image but looks like you have broken the hinge? If this is the case, how old is your air? Hinge breakage is a known issue and it could be that the hinge was about to break anyway. Have you ended up with scratches/dents on the corner of the case/display? If so Apple will not accept this as a hinge breakage- my wife dropped her rev a air when it was two weeks old (actually she slipped and fell over while carrying it) and two years later the hinge broke. Apple took one look at it and said: 'Sorry it's been damaged, no free hinge repair." If there is no obvious external damage you might get it repaired. The only alternative to an expensive professional repair is parts from ifixit or powerbook medic....
That's what I did in the end but replacing the backshell/hinges is not for the faint hearted or first time laptop repairer.
Good luck!

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Looks like when you dropped it the hinges broke? Just don't blame it on Apple over their hinge problem... didn't mean to start anything.

Isidore

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2004
London
those picture are fvxking awful, :mad: I have no idea what I'm looking at

Engage brain before flaming the OP! He obviously didn't know how to rotate his images. The air is on a glass table and the blue 'flowerpot' tells you which way is up, unless of course he has glued the pot to the table.

buckawheat

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2008
Apple care doesn't cover damage from drops even the day you buy it, so that isn't really a factor.

I agree with some other posters, at least take it into apple or a certified repair shop and get a quote, then decide what to do.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Engage brain before flaming the OP! He obviously didn't know how to rotate his images.

They do actually have the correct orientation information saved with them - Safari just doesn't appear to respect that setting.

matelot

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
NY
Engage brain before flaming the OP!....

:rolleyes: chill out, ol' Defender of Internet N00bs - you're the one that seems to get "flamed".

Simply want to let OP know that he should make it easier for people to help HIM. (some people makes it nearly impossible)

rdubya5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Thanks for everyone's replies. I'm going to take a trip to the Apple store and ask for them to fix the hinges gratis. If that doesn't work then I will take it to an apple repair shop. This would be a lot easier if an apple store/repair shop was close by. As for the pictures sorry for the rush job, I took them with my iPhone and hate how the browser doesn't rotate them correctly. I was so distraught I didn't fix it. Again, thanks for everyones help (except the dude that was all pissy about the pictures)!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.