Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

novetan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
I have about 22GB or about 23,500 items to be emptied from the trash. Most of items are just jpg images. I just started to commence emptying and it is taking approximate 1sec to delete one item. So by calculation, it will take 6.5 hrs. !

At same time, I'm just doing my normal spread sheet work.

Is there anything wrong?

novetan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Hey, thanks for info.

Just everyone benefit, go to Finder,Preferences, uncheck empty trash securely. What it potentially take me the calculated 6.5 hrs took about 30 sec.

I read thru the above links and someone suggested hold down the option key during emptying. While I didn't try that and didn't know how long it will take, is there any reason to do that when the box in the Finder can be simply uncheck?

eleven7

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
Japan
Holding down the option key can be used when files are locked and wont delete. If you didn't have any files that wouldn't delete then you were right in thinking you did not need to use that method.

BTW, pressing the option key when emptying trash will take the same amount of time as a standard empty.

novetan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Holding down the option key can be used when files are locked and wont delete. If you didn't have any files that wouldn't delete then you were right in thinking you did not need to use that method.

BTW, pressing the option key when emptying trash will take the same amount of time as a standard empty.

Do you mean holding down the Option key will rewrite the file seven times and yet the same speed as normal emptying trash?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Do you mean holding down the Option key will rewrite the file seven times and yet the same speed as normal emptying trash?
No, it only forces the trash to empty.
If you can't empty the Trash or move a file to the Trash

For example, this message might appear when you try to empty the Trash: "The operation could not be completed because the item '(item name)' is locked."

First, try holding the Option key as you choose Empty Trash from the Finder's File menu.

Emroy

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2018
Hi there,

Up until recently i've been emptying my trash on my mac and its been going very quickly, until the other day. I did go into the preferences and what do you know? The empty trash securely isn't there anymore. Is that from a recent update? Anyone knows what i can do to speed it up?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.