Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mctone2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2010
Hey Hopefully someone can help me out. I have the newest Macbook Pro but my roommates and I have an older TV in our house. The TV has components inputs as well as S video but no HDMI. I bought a mini displayport to VGA for my computer then attached that to a VGA S video cord which then connected to a S video cable into TV. I am unable to get a picture on the TV. Do you have to turn on display option or is it to many connections? Please Help!

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
a VGA S video cord

if it's just a cord, it won't work.
It needs to be a box, with a power adapter. the signal you need isn't in a standard VGA connection, so you need something to convert the signal.

from http://www.amazon.com/TV-out-VGA-S-Video-Cable-Adapter/dp/B000P3UB24
If your video card or controller supports TV-out function, you can use this cable adapter to connect your PC's VGA port and your TV's S-Video or RCA-composite port.
***PLEASE NOTE***
This cable does not add TV-output functionality. If your video card/controller doesn't already have this function, this cable WILL NOT WORK for connecting your VGA output to a TV input.
Sometimes you will see "TV-OUT" printed near the port, but check your motherboard or video card documentation to be certain that your VGA port supports TV-out signal capability before purchasing!***

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.