Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris666wtf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2010
i stupidly tried to use a sowing needle to pick out a cookie crumb that was stuck in between the touch screen and the chrome frame of my iTouch, not knowing there was actually a rubber seal there. later, when i watched The Simpsons on it (full brightness), i noticed a light leak that I had never seen before.

ll.jpg

Looks like this, but only on half of the side of the screen. Only noticeable when brightness is at max and/or in a dark room.

is my ipod touch now a lot more vulnerable to water and dust now? i'm worried that i might have just shortened the lifespan of my iPod by doing such a stupid thing.

what would you recommend for sealing the gap that i've created? are there any solutions I can buy on amazon or something? Right now I have a thin piece of scotch tape covering the gap....good enough?

chris666wtf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2010
Will they still take it back after 3/4 a year? I got in on Christmas. Also will they give me a new or a refurbished one? Since mine is an old model now...

Abscissa

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
VA
Is there a chance that stuff could seep too far in and get into the elctronics?

I was just joking lol. I didn't even know there was a rubber seal...Does that mean the new ones have gaps? I guess in theory a small, small, small amount of the stuff would work but I doubt it. In fact don't do it. lol

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
i would try to get a replacement. My touch 2g started doing this a few months back and it was out of warranty so i'm pretty sure i'm SOL. There is some specks of dust that is horribly visible when the unit is off or on a dark background. In time, it can only get worse. And yes, you will get a refurb unit. Just don't go poking needles at it again. If there is crumb, try and blow it out w/ air only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.