Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

123macca66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
I am using DVDfab to convert my films/tvshows to .mp4

I know DVDfab has a ATV dropdown, but i have been using the generic mp4 dropdown. Do any others of you use this program to convert files for ATV and if so what fixed bitrate size do you use?

I must admit i don't yet own a ATV (looking to get the new model) but am busy getting ready for it. When a film has a 5.1 soundtrack i have chosen this to be included in the .mp4, will this work?

Cave Man

macrumors 604
You'll want audio track 1 to be AAC (up to Dolby Pro Logic II 5-channel surround) and track 2 to be AC3. I keep the bit rate to around 2500 h.264 for the video. I think you also have to rename the extension to .m4v to get autodetection of the AC3 track, but someone else will chime in if otherwise. This, of course, is with the current ATV and presumably will be true for the new ATV.

123macca66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
thanks for the info. i'm hoping to get hold the new ATv so will try out your suggestion.

i've always used my xbox in the past to "stream" stuff. but it died and i'm slowly becoming hooked on apple products :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.