Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keva161

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Kinda want to buy my first MaC (Macbook Pro 13inch... so pretty!) but the only thing thats holding my back is the (somewhat outdated) C2D processor.

As I want to keep this machine for a few years (and its a big investment) any idea when they will be getting core i3/5/7 chips?

stratrman

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2010
depends on your use I guess... i just made the switch from a Dell Core2Duo 2.o ghz. The MBP13 smokes it.

I dropped in a new Momentus XT and 8 gb ram. 15 sec bootup time!

Runs everything I use faster. To be fair, I use it for work - haven't done any processor intensive stuff like video encoding/editing yet, we'll see...

Also, I saw lots of complaining about battery time - mine rocks! first 2 days of ap loading, surfing, ituens migration/ripping saw 6-8 hours each...

Bootcamp/Parallels/Win 7 tomorrow!

njgilligan

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2010
I am in the same position...

Kinda want to buy my first MaC (Macbook Pro 13inch... so pretty!) but the only thing thats holding my back is the (somewhat outdated) C2D processor.

As I want to keep this machine for a few years (and its a big investment) any idea when they will be getting core i3/5/7 chips?

I too am in the market for a 13" macbook pro. My only hesitation has been wanting an i5 or at least i3 processor, and a dedicated graphics card. I went to the store this weekend ready to settle for the core2duo and 320m, but the salesman recommended I wait until the next generation is released.

He was very convinced that the next gen macbook pros will include a 13" model with i3 and/or i5 and dedicated graphics (I'm guessing the 330m). He was certain they'll be out by the end of November. I tend to believe him because he talked me out of making a purchase, and lost that commission for the time being.

It's all speculation but it seems like Apple's selling the current line of macbook pros as fast as possible; I can only assume to make room for new inventory.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I too am in the market for a 13" macbook pro. My only hesitation has been wanting an i5 or at least i3 processor, and a dedicated graphics card. I went to the store this weekend ready to settle for the core2duo and 320m, but the salesman recommended I wait until the next generation is released.

He was very convinced that the next gen macbook pros will include a 13" model with i3 and/or i5 and dedicated graphics (I'm guessing the 330m). He was certain they'll be out by the end of November. I tend to believe him because he talked me out of making a purchase, and lost that commission for the time being.

It's all speculation but it seems like Apple's selling the current line of macbook pros as fast as possible; I can only assume to make room for new inventory.

No one outside Apple (and its MBP related partners) know, what and when the MBP is updated to.

If you can wait, wait, if you can't buy. A C2D is still a capable CPU, unless you just fancy the i-name. In many cases the i3 in its mobile variant is even slower than the C2d (not i5, as I previously wrote), and using many of the hundreds of threads discussing the i-Core and the 13" MBP as pattern, unless Intel comes up with a proper integrated CPU, Apple has to use a dedicated CPU, which is quite a feat on the 13" MBP, and Apple surely does not want to take away from the advertised battery life just for a minute i3 update.

ljx718

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008

When the integrated gpu gets better. That's why they didn put it in this year. They said it was for space issues trying to fit in the 9400 Which is integrated but Not on the same die as the processor

njgilligan

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2010
I agree; wait if you can, and if you can't you can't.

No one outside Apple (and its MBP related partners) know, what and when the MBP is updated to.

If you can wait, wait, if you can't buy. A C2D is still a capable CPU, unless you just fancy the i-name. In many cases the i3 in its mobile variant is even slower than the i5, and using many of the hundreds of threads discussing the i-Core and the 13" MBP as pattern, unless Intel comes up with a proper integrated CPU, Apple has to use a dedicated CPU, which is quite a feat on the 13" MBP, and Apple surely does not want to take away from the advertised battery life just for a minute i3 update.

Of course nobody Knows, that's why this website is called MacRumors. If Apple announced release schedules and plans they wouldn't sell as much hardware as quickly as they do, and this forum would be much less necessary.

My main concern is processing power and portability. I don't mind sacrificing some battery life to have essentially a desktop replacement in a 13" form factor. I've never owned a mac before and I have decided to switch because Apple's the only company making really great hardware in such a portable package. (Plus they're damn sexy I have to admit compared to some of the clunkier pcs). I'm getting rid of my 3.7GHz quad core, 1gb gddr5 gpu, monster desktop for a laptop so I'm trying to minimize the drop in performance.

stefan1975

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Sorry, little mishap there. I meant the C2D is sometimes faster than the i3.

well i figured that is what you meant :D. I heard that statement before a few times, but so far i haven't found any evidence of that being true.

Of course a higher clocked C2D will outperform a lower clocked i3 in single threaded applications, but in all benchmarks i have seen comparing similar clocked CPU's the i3 will always outperform the C2D, be it single or multithreaded processes.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile...004se=0&whetstone=1&wprime_1024=1&wprime_32=1

Keva161

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Screw it, I need one (for work) so i've ordered one. Waiting was too much and MacBook Pro's have good resale value.

Edit: Bank needs to send me a new card so can't order it for a few days now... arghhh this is killing me :(

njgilligan

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2010
Macbook Pro 13" 2.4GHz for $999

Screw it, I need one (for work) so i've ordered one. Waiting was too much and MacBook Pro's have good resale value.

Edit: Bank needs to send me a new card so can't order it for a few days now... arghhh this is killing me :(

MicroCenter has a sale running for the 2.4GHz macbook pro for $999. If you're looking for the current model, I think this is the best price you'll find:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0334909

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.