Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Hey,

I just wanted to get some opinion from people out there. Here's my question.

I've got a 1.8Ghz SP G5. It's about a year old. I'm just wondering - if I slowly max it out, year by year (say 1gb a year), to 8GB of ram, how long do you think she will stay at the top of her game for? I mainly use it for stuff internet, iLife, a bit of photoshop and quark, and a few games.

Any thoughts?

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
You reckon?

What about in a couple of years when programs and the OS require higher specs?

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
When they require higher specs it's going to be for a higher processor. For "most" programs 1GB is plenty, 2GB is a "nice-to-have", and anything higher than that is production work area. I'm afraid for what you're doing you'd just end up with some sticks of RAM that never got touched...

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Interesting. So I guess my original question still stands, how long do you think it will last?

I want to trade it in while I can still get a good trade-in price.

shazammy

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2004
Well, my old G3 Powerbook has lasted five years. For a desktop like that if you take care of it, I'd say at least the same amount of time.

Smileyguy said:
Interesting. So I guess my original question still stands, how long do you think it will last?

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Well that really depends, a good bench mark would be the game that are made. It will never be "top of her game" , but with ram and a video card it will work for a few years on the newest games. But you're going to see a preformance hit in like 2 years. As for internet and ilife, well I remember when the internet was nothing but text and small graphics. Now we have music and video and motionized webpages (like flash based), but I would estimate with a good internet connection your computer will do most of all the internet has to offer for probably 4 years or more.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Smileyguy said:

Macs don't last long for gaming, but in everything else.

It really depends on what you are doing. My mom is still using a 300mhz ibook, and she is writing 10+ pages on it every week, shes also using safari and itunes. It really depends on yourself..

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
I have a 6-year-old Power Computing PowerTower Pro 225.
It has a 225Mhz PowerPC Processor in it. Runs OS 8.6. 2.0 GB hard drive and 96 MB of RAM.

It is a nice computer... :rolleyes:
It is in service as a guest computer. But it is great. Does everything you want. Word 98, Excel 98, etc. Mozilla runs on it too. But it is a modified version of Mozilla. I run some optimization tools on it every once in a while.

I recently added a 500MB hard drive to it. That was nice to have the extra space.

Your G5 will last for years. It may not be the "top" anymore, but it is most certainly going to last. Hell, there are Mac Classics still floating around that are in use.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I agree with the estimate that you'll get about two years of gaming out of it, maybe a little less or more depending on whether you upgrade the graphics card along the way and the kind of games you like.

For everything else you mention, it'll easily be good for another five years, probably ten if it still runs at all.

Though more interesting things have been and will be added to the internet, the requirements for web page viewing, e-mail sending, and the occasional light flash animation and video clip haven't changed significantly in several years, and I don't see them going up drastically in the near future. If anything, web browsers have gotten lighter weight and more efficient in the past few years, not less--look at Safari compared to IE5 (which was the best out there in 2001).

Also keep in mind that the rate of speed increases on processors and RAM has leveled off quite a bit, in part because most people outside media pros and gamers just don't need more than a ~1GHz processor and half a gig of RAM to do anything they want. I don't see that changing for any good reason in the near future.

By way of example: Where I work we have a set of 400MHz first-gen G4s; it has now been 5.5 years since they were released, and with some extra RAM and a hard drive upgrade ($200 max), they run 10.3 fine and they're perfectly functional office machines for web surfing, word processing, excel, and even data analysis (plus the occasional video).

Your G5 is roughly the 2004 equivalent of this, so I see no reason it won't get the job done for the next 5-10 years unless you start wanting to do something fancier.

Heck, even a first-gen, bottom-of-the-line iMac, coming up on seven years old, will run OSX and get you around on the internet, albeit slowly.

I also concurr that it'll be a long time before you're likely to need more than 2GB of RAM--I hammer on my G5, and the 2.5GB I've got is still plenty.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Mechcozmo said:
I have a 6-year-old Power Computing PowerTower Pro 225.
Actually, those were sold between July '96 and October '97 according to EveryMac. That makes yours between seven and eight years old, at the youngest... and still getting the job done! (Those PowerComputing boxes were workhorses--they got us through the Dark Times.)

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Makosuke said:
Actually, those were sold between July '96 and October '97 according to EveryMac. That makes yours between seven and eight years old, at the youngest... and still getting the job done! (Those PowerComputing boxes were workhorses--they got us through the Dark Times.)

Oops, my mistake.

I agree, they were the best Macs out there during the Clone Wars. And they are built to last. Sometimes, when I use it, I wonder who will live longer... :eek: :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.