Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:35 AM   #1
simspace
macrumors newbie

Autorun DVD/USB stick for both OSX and Windows with portable Chrome or Safari

Hi,

I have successfully created an autorun (DVD/USB-STICK) image of my bands EPK (Electronic Press Kit) for Windows. However I also need it to autorun on OSX too.

On my autorun image is a portable version of Google Chrome, a portable version of Safari and a stripped down version of our website (www.u2act.com) with all the supporting video, audio and images. When the DVD or USB-STICK is inserted into a PC, the site is loaded into Chrome portable. This works great!

I am not a OSX guy (though I hope to be one day soon). So I need some help/advice regarding how to make the same DVD/USB-STICK work on a Mac.

I have found a Mac version of Portable Chrome in a .dmg format here: http://www.techbeta.org/google/googl...table-for-mac/

I have also found a Mac version of Portable Safari in a .dmg format here: http://osxportableapps.sourceforge.net/p_safari/

And I found info on dual OS AutoStart/AutoRun here: http://www.keiserphoto.com/resources/cdauto.htm

Now to just combine them. That's where the confusion for me comes in for me. The main question I have is how to autostart either portable versions of Safari or Chrome from the DVD/USB-STICK? Is the .dmg image executable?

One last note: I need Chrome or Safari because I am using the HTML 5 <video> tag.

FYI... Here is my Windows autorun.inf file:
[autorun]
Open=GoogleChromePortable/GoogleChromePortable.exe \index.html
Action=UZoo EPK
Label=UZoo EPK
Icon=GoogleChromePortable/GoogleChromePortable.exe

Thanks!
Chris
simspace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:31 AM   #2
Darth.Titan
macrumors 68020

Autorun functionality is just not available in OS X. It's considered to be a security risk at worst, and at the least is just annoying. The link you posted refers to Mac OS 9, and is not relevant on modern hardware.

The best you'll be able to do on a Mac is to have the root folder open automatically.
Darth.Titan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:38 AM   #3
simspace
macrumors newbie

Ahhh... Ok.

Is there a trick to getting the root folder to open automatically on a DVD or USB Drive?
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:58 AM   #4
Darth.Titan
macrumors 68020

I know how to do it when burning a CD, but I've never tried it with a flash drive.

Perhaps someone else will chime in?
Darth.Titan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 07:22 PM   #5
simspace
macrumors newbie

I'm fine with CD / DVD how-to. Our EPK will most often be sent out on a DVD.

I really appreciate any direction you can give me with the Mac. I'm trying to cover both platforms not knowing what type of computer an agent will be using.

Chris

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help