Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Sep 14, 2010, 01:35 AM   #1
jacobtf
macrumors newbie

Unhappy iPhone volume settings insanity

Okay I am on the edge of insanity. The iPhone has a mute button, which is fine for ringtones and SMS sounds. But for the love of god almighty, is thèrese no way to turn down ALL other sounds? I turn mute on, and enter some app, sounds starts blasting - without headphones plugged in. Them some other time I plugin headphones and have to turn up the volume, and sometimes it won't recognised the headphones at all.

In my world, a phone should have two volume settings: one for with headphones and one without. At first it seemed the iPhone had that, but experience have proven otherwise.

I want to be able to mute the phone, and then ONLY have Sound through headphones. How bloody hard can it be when every other phone I have ever owned have been able to do that with logic, ease and simplicity.
jacobtf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 01:42 AM   #2
tuna
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobtf View Post
Okay I am on the edge of insanity. The iPhone has a mute button, which is fine for ringtones and SMS sounds. But for the love of god almighty, is thèrese no way to turn down ALL other sounds? I turn mute on, and enter some app, sounds starts blasting - without headphones plugged in. Them some other time I plugin headphones and have to turn up the volume, and sometimes it won't recognised the headphones at all.

In my world, a phone should have two volume settings: one for with headphones and one without. At first it seemed the iPhone had that, but experience have proven otherwise.

I want to be able to mute the phone, and then ONLY have Sound through headphones. How bloody hard can it be when every other phone I have ever owned have been able to do that with logic, ease and simplicity.
My iPhone 3GS works exactly the way that you describe wanting your phone to work.

When the volume switch is on mute, the phone will not make ANY sounds through its speakers.

When headphones are plugged in, regardless of the position of the volume switch, the speakers will not make any sounds. Even the ringtone will come through the headphones instead of the speakers.

I don't know if you have a different model and it works differently... or what thats really weird obviously the phone SHOULD work as you and I describe and I know that mine does...
tuna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 04:45 AM   #3
Hypnoman
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to Hypnoman
I'm with jacobtf: the volume controls on the iPhone are entirely random. Have you tried playing something using iPod, and (while it's playing) turning the mute on? Sound continues.

Even more bizarre is how text alerts and other sounds are affected by the volume. There seems to be some half-hearted attempt to have two volume levels, one for the ringer and one for everything else. Are text alerts controlled by the ringer volume or the main volume? The iPhone doesn't seem to know: it depends on the last control you used.

And where does the phone ringer play through? If there are headphones plugged in, the sound comes *both* through the headphones and the ringer. Unless they're bluetooth headphones, in which case the sound only comes from the phone itself, *not* the headphones.
Hypnoman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting