Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rideherhard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
You need your computer on and you need to have it going through your computer, right? why not just hook your laptop to your AVR or TV and get the apple remote? wouldn't this be doing the exact same thing with less limitations?.

PurdueGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Another thread on this? This is discussed in countless threads.

Your computer only has to be running if you want to stream from it. Otherwise, it streams from the internet (TV show rentals, Netflix, etc)

You might have multiple TVs in one house, and one media server. The AppleTV is used throughout the house, and you don't need a computer at each location.

markgo2k

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
The new Apple TV does NOT require a computer. Only an iTunes account.

It supports streaming media from your computer, but unlike the original Apple TV it does not require a computer to use it (as long as you can sign up for an iTunes account on a computer somewhere).

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
My computer sits in my bedroom with a nice dual monitor setup. I'm not lugging it downstairs if I want to watch a show on the big tv.

Rideherhard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010

It supports streaming media from your computer, but unlike the original Apple TV it does not require a computer to use it (as long as you can sign up for an iTunes account on a computer somewhere).

So if you rent TV shows or movies from iTunes where does it store it?...

PurdueGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
So if you rent TV shows or movies from iTunes where does it store it?...
It doesn't. Well, it probably buffers/stores some in onboard flash. But if you want to rewatch it within the rental period, it will redownload it if needed.

Arnieaz

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
Tucson, AZ
EyeTV HD

I have an EyeTV HD so when I rent a a movie on directv I can also record it.
I can then export it to AppleTV format. Later I can replay it on the new ATV.
Pretty simple for me. It's he only way to get this time limited media back on the big screen. :D

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA

But it does require a computer on if you want to watch anything you have stored on a computer or external hard drive.

Rideherhard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Hey I don't want to start another thread so maybe someone can help me here?... is my internet speed any good?.

download 1.73mb/s

upload 0.30mb/s

PING 17 ms

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
But it does require a computer on if you want to watch anything you have stored on a computer or external hard drive.

This is because it is hard to get to files on a computer when it isn't turned on :p

UnseenLlama

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Hey I don't want to start another thread so maybe someone can help me here?... is my internet speed any good?.

download 1.73mb/s

upload 0.30mb/s

PING 17 ms

That seems to be fairly slow for connections today, especially with services like Comcast internet. Are you on a DSL line? I tried switching out to that from Comcast, but found that the latency and speed was horrible.

Rideherhard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
That seems to be fairly slow for connections today, especially with services like Comcast internet. Are you on a DSL line? I tried switching out to that from Comcast, but found that the latency and speed was horrible.

Thanks. Yeah it's DSL, I thought it was on the slower side, I'll have to check into this.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario

It does require a computer if you want to stream stuff that you already have, where as the old version you could sync media over to the apple tv for later viewing, without a computer.

But back on topic, my need/reason is AirPlay, and a nicer interface for streaming than my 360 or PS3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.