Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Sep 15, 2010, 04:05 PM   #1
Apple-NoEscape
macrumors 6502

Is it possible to disable the voice control?

Is there a way to disable voice control on the iPhone? I'm running a 3Gs (decided I didn't like the iPhone 4 and am waiting till 5) running 3. something. I haven't updated to the 4.0 as I don't want it, but I haven't even updated to the last version of 3.X as I haven't plugged my phone into iTunes in ages (scared of losing all my music/photos/games etc when I do).

Basically when my headphones are plugged in, which is almost always, I seem to lean on the headphone controls when sitting and either dial someone, which has ended really badly, or just skip songs etc, which is just a nuisance.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 05:55 PM   #2
jacollins
macrumors 6502a

I've never seen anything to disable voice control. So I'm guessing it's a "don't hold it that way" situation. Maybe you should look at dedicated headphones (without the controls)?
jacollins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 06:05 PM   #3
saving107
macrumors 603

Apple doesn't like to give the end user the option to disable features.
saving107 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 07:19 PM   #4
Apple-NoEscape
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacollins View Post
I've never seen anything to disable voice control. So I'm guessing it's a "don't hold it that way" situation. Maybe you should look at dedicated headphones (without the controls)?
Problem is I use the controls constantly. It's easier to skip songs etc using the headphones then having to get the phone in and out of my pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saving107 View Post
Apple doesn't like to give the end user the option to disable features.
Figured as much 2bh this is one of the reasons apple will never hold the position as my favorite tech company. While I love some of their products they seem to like holding themselves back in terms of user freedom.

Looks like I will just have to suck it up and hope I don't call someone I really don't want to speak to (again...).
Old Sep 15, 2010, 07:24 PM   #5
pintnight
macrumors 6502

I unchecked all of the Voice Control options to tie in the voice control to. The Voice Control on my iPhone 4 kept getting triggered somehow, since I've disabled the options to Voice Control, I haven't had Voice Control get activated.

But, would be nice to disable Voice Control in the settings.
pintnight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 07:43 PM   #6
jas1973
macrumors 6502

Try setting your voice control language to one other then English.
jas1973 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 07:46 PM   #7
iluvifone
macrumors 6502

there IS a way to do it, but unfortunately you have to be on ios 4.. i googled for hours (2 months ago) and found a little trick where you need to SSH into your phone and edit one of the hex values.. i'll post later

Edit: hope i saved someone hours of google searching!

http://ihackmyi.com/forum/index.php?topic=24774.0

enjoy!

Last edited by iluvifone; Sep 15, 2010 at 11:56 PM.
iluvifone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 04:33 AM   #8
psxguru
macrumors 6502a

Does disabling voice dial when locked not help?
psxguru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:12 AM   #9
jacollins
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintnight View Post
I unchecked all of the Voice Control options to tie in the voice control to. The Voice Control on my iPhone 4 kept getting triggered somehow, since I've disabled the options to Voice Control, I haven't had Voice Control get activated.

But, would be nice to disable Voice Control in the settings.
Where are these "Voice Control Options" you are talking about?
Old Sep 17, 2010, 07:22 AM   #10
Apple-NoEscape
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by psxguru View Post
Does disabling voice dial when locked not help?
Well I feel like and idiot right now, I have no idea how to get to these options.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:31 AM   #11
psxguru
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple-NoEscape View Post
Well I feel like and idiot right now, I have no idea how to get to these options.
It's under...

settings | general | passcode lock
psxguru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 12:35 PM   #12
jas1973
macrumors 6502

i looked in that settings area and all it has is a on/off for voice dial and says voice ipod control is always enabled. but i guess if you put it off you wont call someone by mistake at least it should just control your ipod
Old Sep 17, 2010, 12:47 PM   #13
jacollins
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
It's under...

Thanks! Not exactly an obvious area to look to turn off the voice dialing...
Old Sep 17, 2010, 02:42 PM   #14
jas1973
macrumors 6502

i turned off voice dialing,, but when i tested it and said "call office" it called my office. lol so i guess it doesnt work,
Old Sep 17, 2010, 02:59 PM   #15
Bandolier
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas1973 View Post
i turned off voice dialing,, but when i tested it and said "call office" it called my office. lol so i guess it doesnt work,
Why do Mac users always have to be spoonfed? Voice DIALING is the act of DIALING a phone number by DIALING its digits by voice. Saying "Call office" is not dialing, it's calling.

And OP, Jesus Christ, there's a Cydia tweak that's called Disable Voice Control. Yes, that's literally what it's called. You couldn't find that with your thorough searching? Oh wait, people on this forum don't know what Google is.
Bandolier is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 03:05 PM   #16
jacollins
macrumors 6502a

Um, I daresay the majority of iPhone USERS are not jailbroken. So unless you say something along the lines of "jailbreak and use XYZ" the assumption is that you are talking about the standard firmware.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 03:07 PM   #17
jas1973
macrumors 6502

[QUOTE=Bandolier;11080193]Why do Mac users always have to be spoonfed? Voice DIALING is the act of DIALING a phone number by DIALING its digits by voice. Saying "Call office" is not dialing, it's calling.

yes i realized that, and that was why i posted it would not work, to let the poster above jacollins know it will still call your contacts and does not disable voice calling.

I have a better question for you though.. why do you have to be such a Dick?
jas1973 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 03:21 PM   #18
Apple-NoEscape
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandolier View Post
Why do Mac users always have to be spoonfed? Voice DIALING is the act of DIALING a phone number by DIALING its digits by voice. Saying "Call office" is not dialing, it's calling.

And OP, Jesus Christ, there's a Cydia tweak that's called Disable Voice Control. Yes, that's literally what it's called. You couldn't find that with your thorough searching? Oh wait, people on this forum don't know what Google is.
Seeing as my phone isn't jailbroken that isn't going to really help me.

Quote:
It's under...

Thanks I will see if that helps at all. Would of never thought to look there.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting