Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom
Is there a way to disable voice control on the iPhone? I'm running a 3Gs (decided I didn't like the iPhone 4 and am waiting till 5) running 3. something. I haven't updated to the 4.0 as I don't want it, but I haven't even updated to the last version of 3.X as I haven't plugged my phone into iTunes in ages (scared of losing all my music/photos/games etc when I do).

Basically when my headphones are plugged in, which is almost always, I seem to lean on the headphone controls when sitting and either dial someone, which has ended really badly, or just skip songs etc, which is just a nuisance.

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
I've never seen anything to disable voice control. So I'm guessing it's a "don't hold it that way" situation. Maybe you should look at dedicated headphones (without the controls)?

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom
I've never seen anything to disable voice control. So I'm guessing it's a "don't hold it that way" situation. Maybe you should look at dedicated headphones (without the controls)?

Problem is I use the controls constantly. It's easier to skip songs etc using the headphones then having to get the phone in and out of my pocket.

Apple doesn't like to give the end user the option to disable features.

Figured as much 2bh :( this is one of the reasons apple will never hold the position as my favorite tech company. While I love some of their products they seem to like holding themselves back in terms of user freedom.

Looks like I will just have to suck it up and hope I don't call someone I really don't want to speak to (again...).

pintnight

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2008
I unchecked all of the Voice Control options to tie in the voice control to. The Voice Control on my iPhone 4 kept getting triggered somehow, since I've disabled the options to Voice Control, I haven't had Voice Control get activated.

But, would be nice to disable Voice Control in the settings.

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
I unchecked all of the Voice Control options to tie in the voice control to. The Voice Control on my iPhone 4 kept getting triggered somehow, since I've disabled the options to Voice Control, I haven't had Voice Control get activated.

But, would be nice to disable Voice Control in the settings.

Where are these "Voice Control Options" you are talking about?

jas1973

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
i looked in that settings area and all it has is a on/off for voice dial and says voice ipod control is always enabled. but i guess if you put it off you wont call someone by mistake at least it should just control your ipod

jas1973

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
i turned off voice dialing,, but when i tested it and said "call office" it called my office. lol so i guess it doesnt work,

Bandolier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
i turned off voice dialing,, but when i tested it and said "call office" it called my office. lol so i guess it doesnt work,

Why do Mac users always have to be spoonfed? Voice DIALING is the act of DIALING a phone number by DIALING its digits by voice. Saying "Call office" is not dialing, it's calling.

And OP, Jesus Christ, there's a Cydia tweak that's called Disable Voice Control. Yes, that's literally what it's called. You couldn't find that with your thorough searching? Oh wait, people on this forum don't know what Google is.

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Um, I daresay the majority of iPhone USERS are not jailbroken. So unless you say something along the lines of "jailbreak and use XYZ" the assumption is that you are talking about the standard firmware.

jas1973

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Why do Mac users always have to be spoonfed? Voice DIALING is the act of DIALING a phone number by DIALING its digits by voice. Saying "Call office" is not dialing, it's calling.

yes i realized that, and that was why i posted it would not work, to let the poster above jacollins know it will still call your contacts and does not disable voice calling.

I have a better question for you though.. why do you have to be such a Dick?

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom

And OP, Jesus Christ, there's a Cydia tweak that's called Disable Voice Control. Yes, that's literally what it's called. You couldn't find that with your thorough searching? Oh wait, people on this forum don't know what Google is.

Seeing as my phone isn't jailbroken that isn't going to really help me.

It's under...

settings | general | passcode lock

Thanks I will see if that helps at all. Would of never thought to look there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.