Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mulo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
so basically I've bought a 17" with glossy screen and I'm starting to regret it.
anyone know how much it would be to have it changed?
It's a couple months old so I cant just take it back.

I happen to be going on vacation in two days so now would be a good time to get it "fixed".

mulo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
I haven't used any films either - I like the glossy.

me too, I just cant see crap at school.

anyway, its 2:30 am here and i'm going to bed.
I hope someone is going to leave some good answers for me in the morning! :D

MoLiva

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
Canada
I've always preferred the glossy screen, I've never had any of these mega glare problems other people talk about. I take mine to school and even use it outside. Anywho, it'll there are films that act like screen protectors which also reduce glare, I would look into those maybe.

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
I've always preferred the glossy screen, I've never had any of these mega glare problems other people talk about. I take mine to school and even use it outside.

Your machine must be quite the anomaly. In my experience, glossy screens make better mirrors than displays.

Merkava_4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2010
California
You just need to change out the LCD panel to an anti-glare matte panel.

Post your serial number and I'll give you the part number and a link to get it from.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You just need to change out the LCD panel to an anti-glare matte panel.

Post your serial number and I'll give you the part number and a link to get it from.

Why not just post the link, so they can search for themselves, rather than posting their serial number in an open forum?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
How much privacy do you lose by posting the serial number to your computer?

I'm asking a serious question; I'm not trying to be a jerk.

Why are you so focused on getting the OP's serial number? You don't need it to help them.

Merkava_4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2010
California
Why are you so focused on getting the OP's serial number? You don't need it to help them.

Because rather than asking him/her to list all the specs so that I can get the part number of
the LCD, I can just run the serial number through PowerbookMedic and get the specs that way.

The original intention was to just save the OP some trouble. I'm not after his/her medical records. :cool:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Because rather than asking him/her to list all the specs so that I can get the part number of
the LCD, I can just run the serial number through PowerbookMedic and get the specs that way.

The original intention was to just save the OP some trouble. I'm not after his/her medical records. :cool:
And the OP can do the same thing themselves, without giving you, or anyone in the forum, their serial number.

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/identify-mac-serial.php

AdamRock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Toronto
looks like everyone starts regretting getting glossy after buying it.

but just buy one of those cheap antiglare films from amazon, or for few dollars on ebay.

broad

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2009
you cant just "swap" screens. the topcases and displays are both different on the matte vs glossy models. the BT board and cable etc are in the topcase near the optical drive on the matte ones...

also, its generally not a good idea to post serial numbers because fraudulent warranty claims could be made by less than scrupulous shop employees or some other such thing. its probably not an issue, but why risk it? just PM your serial to the person rather than posting it in the open

elpmas

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2009
Where the fresh snow don't go.
Your machine must be quite the anomaly. In my experience, glossy screens make better mirrors than displays.

lol. have to agree with you. no wonder girls love using them outside at my school...showing off their legs and mbp...gossssh they're just staring at themselves!! us guys should do that too, see how much attention we'll get :D

mulo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
And the OP can do the same thing themselves, without giving you, or anyone in the forum, their serial number.

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/identify-mac-serial.php

Thank you for taking that fight for me. they however don't have any matte panels :(

yeah :(

taddaaaaa. here are some options:

http://www.macyourself.com/2009/08/...books-screen-from-glossy-to-anti-glare-matte/

-> Also, if you do get a matte film, I'd go with a Power Support. I used a Power Support matte screen protector on my iPhone 3G and it really wasn't too bad :)

Power SUpport sadly doesn't have anti-glare films for the 17"
Photodon however does, and appears to ship outside the US! Kudos :)
http://www.photodon.com/mm5/merchan...Code=AppleMacBookPro&Product_Code=MXH-3100-01

bamf

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2008
My Early 2008 MBP was a custom ordered one b/c of wanting the anti-glare screen, and my current 2010 MBP has the glossy screen. I actually haven't noticed tons of difference using the glossy - and I thought I would hate the glossy at first.

Have you tried things like changing the display brightness to counter the glare? I've found that to be pretty effective for me.

mulo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
Have you tried things like changing the display brightness to counter the glare? I've found that to be pretty effective for me.

well yes but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a MBP, eats my battery in no time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.