Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Sep 16, 2010, 02:00 AM   #1
welshwizard1927
macrumors newbie

iPhone 3g battery dying overnight

Hi All

Bit of a sudden problem that's started over the past two nights. I've gone to bed with the battery 60% charged on first night, and 100% charged on second night.

On the first night I woke up and checked the time on my phone...all fine. By 7am, the phone battery is dead! Now, last night I went to bed with the phone fully charged and received two text messages at 1am (which were sent at 9 and 10pm). The battery alert then flags up to say there's 20% left.

I can't understand why the battery is so suddenly dying! I'm not running any apps in the background.

Any suggestions?
welshwizard1927 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 01:40 PM   #2
Zombieslayer240
macrumors newbie

If you have a jailbroken iphone I can relate to this, as I had a similar problem about a year ago...my battery would drop literally 1% every 10 seconds or so when I was calling someone. I say jailbroken because what the problem turned out to be (or as I believe it to be the cause) is an application or some form of data stuck in the background of your phone, or something to that extent.

What solved the problem for me: completely restore/wipe your phone, and don't use a recent backup (I didn't use one at all and started anew, but I assume a backup from before you had battery problems may work...). Seriously, it worked like a charm and I got "normal" battery life back instantly.

If that doesn't work, you probably have either a dying battery (so you would need a replacement) or also a dying dock connector like I had, which killed my battery
Zombieslayer240 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 12:08 PM   #3
welshwizard1927
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. I think i'm going to have to end up doing that. Oddly enough I put it in flight mode overnight last night and the battery was pretty much as it was when I went to sleep. It's almost as though one of the app's is constantly on in the background. I know this isn't possible because i'm on the 3g version.
welshwizard1927 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 04:25 PM   #4
graphitegray
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshwizard1927 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I think i'm going to have to end up doing that. Oddly enough I put it in flight mode overnight last night and the battery was pretty much as it was when I went to sleep. It's almost as though one of the app's is constantly on in the background. I know this isn't possible because i'm on the 3g version.

the 3g eats up your battery life. try turning off the 3g before going to bed.
graphitegray is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:05 PM   #5
bnr
macrumors newbie

facing same problem with 3GS

I am facing exactly same problem with my iphone 3gs phone from last sunday
(09/18/2010).

On sunday night battery was dead within 4 hours.
On Monday morning, recharged to 100%..this time no luck..agian phone went down within 4 hours.

Quickly googled and found this site, followed couple of instructions like

- disabling location services ( or disabling antenna)
- did Reset All settings

After performing above 2 steps, battery was up and running for 6 hours.

Now for evening charging battery - it is taking more than 3 hours..

I think some thing is seriously wrong with my phone / battery / apps.

Not sure how to proceed further to resolve this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshwizard1927 View Post
Hi All

Bit of a sudden problem that's started over the past two nights. I've gone to bed with the battery 60% charged on first night, and 100% charged on second night.

On the first night I woke up and checked the time on my phone...all fine. By 7am, the phone battery is dead! Now, last night I went to bed with the phone fully charged and received two text messages at 1am (which were sent at 9 and 10pm). The battery alert then flags up to say there's 20% left.

I can't understand why the battery is so suddenly dying! I'm not running any apps in the background.

Any suggestions?
bnr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting