Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riverwater

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
I have a MBP 15, the computer service of my company has pointed the server address of Mac Software Update to an internal server. It makes me cannot run Software Update at any place but my office. How can I change the address back to the server at Apple.com?

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
I'm on my iPad right now, so can't check, but I'm pretty sure there should be a file in /Library/Preferences called com.apple.softwareupdate.url or something similar. Open it up to check, but if that is it, just delete, and you'll be able to check using the Apple server.

riverwater

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
There is a file named "com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist" in the ?library/Preferences folder, I opened it with texteditor, and found it has my company's server address. What is the address of Apple.com server?

I'm on my iPad right now, so can't check, but I'm pretty sure there should be a file in /Library/Preferences called com.apple.softwareupdate.url or something similar. Open it up to check, but if that is it, just delete, and you'll be able to check using the Apple server.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
My file in that location doesn't have an IP address. Maybe if you remove the company one it will default to using a DNS name for softwareupdate.apple.com or similar.

Easiest way to find out is make a copy of that file, then edit the original and remove the line with the IP address.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
My file in that location doesn't have an IP address. Maybe if you remove the company one it will default to using a DNS name for softwareupdate.apple.com or similar.

Easiest way to find out is make a copy of that file, then edit the original and remove the line with the IP address.
Correct. Also, if you don't have any updates hidden through Software Update you could go ahead and delete the whole file, but keep a backup.

riverwater

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Thanks, Ryan and Queso. I will try it when I get home tonight.

Correct. Also, if you don't have any updates hidden through Software Update you could go ahead and delete the whole file, but keep a backup.

riverwater

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Problem fixed. I renamed com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist in that folder, and find the previous version from Time machine backup. Now I can run Software Update at home. Thank you all for help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.