Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Sep 16, 2010, 06:46 PM   #1
tdfitz
macrumors newbie

I need help connecting iPad to internet through ethernet NOT wifi

Has anyone tried connecting the Apple camera connector kit to an iPad, then connecting the Apple USB Ethernet Adapter to that so an ethernet cable can then, theoretically, be connected to the iPad? I will traveling to Tokyo and staying in a hotel with wired internet access only, no wifi and I only want to take my iPad and not my laptop. Yes I know I can go elsewhere for wifi, but I specifically want to use the iPad to check email while at the hotel at all hours. PLEASE help! Thanks in advance.
tdfitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 06:47 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6

It won't work. The iPad lacks the proper drivers.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 06:50 PM   #3
tdfitz
macrumors newbie

right. makes perfect sense. dammit.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 07:11 PM   #4
prot0type
macrumors regular

Maybe consider a travel router like the ones listed here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...router&x=0&y=0
prot0type is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 03:32 AM   #5
miamijim
macrumors 6502

Errr.

Apple Airport Express shoud do the trick plug in and connect the ethernet cable and you are away.
miamijim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 04:03 AM   #6
chiefroastbeef
macrumors 6502a

I travel extensively, and like the poster above mentioned, buy an Airport Express (I also have the Extreme and Time Capsule, all of them works great).

I just connect the Express into an outlet, and then plug in the Ethernet cable. I then have wireless access for my MBP, iPad, and Blackberry anywhere in the room. However, some hotels has a device detection that limits each room to one device (usually it is with hotels that charges for internet use), but that is only a small percentage of hotels I've been to.

Just buy an Airport Express and enjoy your trip to Tokyo.
Nikon D700
chiefroastbeef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:40 AM   #7
tdfitz
macrumors newbie

thanks for the solution. much appreciated.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:45 AM   #8
sushi
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdfitz View Post
I will traveling to Tokyo and staying in a hotel with wired internet access only, no wifi and I only want to take my iPad and not my laptop.
Is this a one time shot?

If so, I think that the Airport Express (or similar) as others have mentioned is a good solution.

If however, you will be traveling regularly to Tokyo, there are other options to consider that will provide more flexibility while here in Japan. Basically, Internet access along the lines of the Verizon MiFi. Softbank and E-mobile offer similar devices and there are others.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 06:12 PM   #9
misterbig
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef View Post
I travel extensively, and like the poster above mentioned, buy an Airport Express (I also have the Extreme and Time Capsule, all of them works great).

I just connect the Express into an outlet, and then plug in the Ethernet cable. I then have wireless access for my MBP, iPad, and Blackberry anywhere in the room. However, some hotels has a device detection that limits each room to one device (usually it is with hotels that charges for internet use), but that is only a small percentage of hotels I've been to.
Chiefroastbeef, how do you get your Airport Express to bypass the hotels' login page? I have an Airport Express and most hotels I stay at require you to login and the AE can't seem to work when such a page exists.
misterbig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 08:30 PM   #10
chiefroastbeef
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbig View Post
Chiefroastbeef, how do you get your Airport Express to bypass the hotels' login page? I have an Airport Express and most hotels I stay at require you to login and the AE can't seem to work when such a page exists.
I connect the Ethernet cable to the AE, connect to the AE on my computer, and when the login page pops up, I just click login, and then I will have access to the internet. Most of the Sheratons, Hyatts, or Holiday Inns in China for when I travel require a login (and some require payment).

Perhaps the hotels you stay at completely block wireless router usage? I have never seen that though traveling in the US, China, or elsewhere.
Nikon D700
chiefroastbeef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 07:53 PM   #11
cherft
macrumors newbie

Unhappy Airport Express as a router in 3rd rate hotels

Hello - I have seen all your replies.
I do not believe any suggestions will work unless you also carry a laptop that will help you to initially configure the router.
So if you are ONLY carrying an iPad, you are stuffed! Can anyone help to confirm this?
thanks very much.
Chris
cherft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 03:59 AM   #12
Capt T
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherft View Post
Hello - I have seen all your replies.
I do not believe any suggestions will work unless you also carry a laptop that will help you to initially configure the router.
So if you are ONLY carrying an iPad, you are stuffed! Can anyone help to confirm this?
thanks very much.
Chris
Depends on how the login page works. For the most part, there is no problem. And most router can be configure from your browser, I use the iPad with the one I carry, but barely ever need to reconfigure the router anyway.
Capt T is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories