Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tdfitz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Has anyone tried connecting the Apple camera connector kit to an iPad, then connecting the Apple USB Ethernet Adapter to that so an ethernet cable can then, theoretically, be connected to the iPad? I will traveling to Tokyo and staying in a hotel with wired internet access only, no wifi and I only want to take my iPad and not my laptop. Yes I know I can go elsewhere for wifi, but I specifically want to use the iPad to check email while at the hotel at all hours. PLEASE help! Thanks in advance.

miamijim

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2010
Errr.

Apple Airport Express shoud do the trick plug in and connect the ethernet cable and you are away.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
I travel extensively, and like the poster above mentioned, buy an Airport Express (I also have the Extreme and Time Capsule, all of them works great).

I just connect the Express into an outlet, and then plug in the Ethernet cable. I then have wireless access for my MBP, iPad, and Blackberry anywhere in the room. However, some hotels has a device detection that limits each room to one device (usually it is with hotels that charges for internet use), but that is only a small percentage of hotels I've been to.

Just buy an Airport Express and enjoy your trip to Tokyo.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I will traveling to Tokyo and staying in a hotel with wired internet access only, no wifi and I only want to take my iPad and not my laptop.
Is this a one time shot?

If so, I think that the Airport Express (or similar) as others have mentioned is a good solution.

If however, you will be traveling regularly to Tokyo, there are other options to consider that will provide more flexibility while here in Japan. Basically, Internet access along the lines of the Verizon MiFi. Softbank and E-mobile offer similar devices and there are others.

misterbig

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2010
I travel extensively, and like the poster above mentioned, buy an Airport Express (I also have the Extreme and Time Capsule, all of them works great).

I just connect the Express into an outlet, and then plug in the Ethernet cable. I then have wireless access for my MBP, iPad, and Blackberry anywhere in the room. However, some hotels has a device detection that limits each room to one device (usually it is with hotels that charges for internet use), but that is only a small percentage of hotels I've been to.

Chiefroastbeef, how do you get your Airport Express to bypass the hotels' login page? I have an Airport Express and most hotels I stay at require you to login and the AE can't seem to work when such a page exists.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
Chiefroastbeef, how do you get your Airport Express to bypass the hotels' login page? I have an Airport Express and most hotels I stay at require you to login and the AE can't seem to work when such a page exists.

I connect the Ethernet cable to the AE, connect to the AE on my computer, and when the login page pops up, I just click login, and then I will have access to the internet. Most of the Sheratons, Hyatts, or Holiday Inns in China for when I travel require a login (and some require payment).

Perhaps the hotels you stay at completely block wireless router usage? I have never seen that though traveling in the US, China, or elsewhere.

cherft

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2013
Airport Express as a router in 3rd rate hotels

Hello - I have seen all your replies.
I do not believe any suggestions will work unless you also carry a laptop that will help you to initially configure the router.
So if you are ONLY carrying an iPad, you are stuffed! Can anyone help to confirm this?
thanks very much.
Chris

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
Hello - I have seen all your replies.
I do not believe any suggestions will work unless you also carry a laptop that will help you to initially configure the router.
So if you are ONLY carrying an iPad, you are stuffed! Can anyone help to confirm this?
thanks very much.
Chris

Depends on how the login page works. For the most part, there is no problem. And most router can be configure from your browser, I use the iPad with the one I carry, but barely ever need to reconfigure the router anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.