Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archer007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Is it possible to install Boot Camp 3.0 or higher on Windows 7 64-bit when dual booting with Leopard? What I've been reading suggests I need the Snow Leopard disc for Boot Camp 3.0+ and Windows 7 compatibility, but I only have the Leopard OEM disc.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
They want their iMacs to dual boot with Windows 7. No idea why, I'm just prepping the images.

Yeah, then to be license compliant they will want to have $29 SL licenses for each iMac for the Boot Camp drivers, right? (Even if they only install the driver's it's the only legit way to get a license.)

Also, you are sure that these are on the 64 bit compatibility list, right?

B

archer007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Yeah, then to be license compliant they will want to have $29 SL licenses for each iMac for the Boot Camp drivers, right? (Even if they only install the driver's it's the only legit way to get a license.)

Also, you are sure that these are on the 64 bit compatibility list, right?

B

Oh? I'll check that out, that is pretty important. You have a link to something explaining that? They run 64-bit Win7 fine, but I haven't tested this on all the iMac models yet. I think we can switch to 32-bit Win7 if we can't run 64-bit.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Oh? I'll check that out, that is pretty important. You have a link to something explaining that? They run 64-bit Win7 fine, but I haven't tested this on all the iMac models yet. I think we can switch to 32-bit Win7 if we can't run 64-bit.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1846 is the official list. Doesn't mean they can't run 64 bit, just means Apple doesn't support it due to EFI incompatibilities and drivers they don't provide.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.