Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

symbology

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
I installed two SSD drives into my 27" i7, one in the SSD location and one replacing the optical drive. So I have two SSD's (128GB + 256GB) and the stock WD 1TB drive.

My issue is once I put the machine in sleep mode, the iMac is ejecting the SSD's. If I boot off of the hard drive and then put it in sleep mode, I will drop both SSD's. If I boot off of one of the SSD's and put it in sleep mode, the SSD that was used for booting will not be ejected, but the other one will.

Anyone else running multiple SSD's (not in raid) and is having the same issue? I am beginning to think that I will have to live with just one SSD as the boot drive (which is not the end of the world). Or, cough up an extra $540 (not likely) for another 256GB SSD and raid 0 two of them as boot drives.

THoughts?

Warbitrary

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2009
Montréal, Canada
I can't offer a fix, but I have an idea for a workaround.

Open an application stored on the unmounting drive and leave it open. Or, open a file stored on the drive, make some changes but don't save them.
Put the Mac to sleep.
Does the SSD still eject?

symbology

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
That is a good idea. I should have tried that before I pulled the 128GB SSD out. I am only running on one SSD (256GB) and the internal HD as I put the optical drive back in. With this setup I do not have any issues. I might try to put the other SSD back in the optical bay and try this out.

Thanks....

symbology

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
I can't offer a fix, but I have an idea for a workaround.

Open an application stored on the unmounting drive and leave it open. Or, open a file stored on the drive, make some changes but don't save them.
Put the Mac to sleep.
Does the SSD still eject?

I tried that, but it still ejected the SSD that was not the "boot" disk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.