Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

160932-appstore.jpg

Earlier today, we suggested that Apple was likely planning an App Store for the new Apple TV which is based on iOS. It seems Steve Jobs was actually very open about this possibility in a Bloomberg Businessweek interview earlier this month (via jaw04005).
What Jobs didn't say is that Apple wants to become king of the living room. He tells Bloomberg Businessweek that when the time is right, Apple could open an App Store for the TV that could do for television sets what all those apps have done for the iPhone.
An App Store for AppleTV-specific apps could increase the utility of what initially seemed a disappointing upgrade. Some are already excited about the implications that AirPlay will have now that it seems likely that any H.264 video application could stream content to the Apple TV.

Article Link: Jobs Says Apple TV App Store Could Launch When the Time is Right

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
When the time is right? Yes, instead of offering an innovative and interesting new product with all kinds of potential 3rd party support and things to look forward to, let's offer the same old product that didn't sell before for a somewhat lower price, take away all internal storage so it's even less useful in some areas, ignore ALL previous customer suggestions (say 1080p?) and hope it sells anyway. Then we'll hint that SOME DAY maybe we'll offer something useful or interesting to consumers IF we sell a whole boat load of them, which we won't because it's uninteresting and out of date just like the last version that didn't sell for squat. :rolleyes:

Sometimes I TRULY wonder how Steve ever got where he did. He'll show all this innovation in some areas like the iPhone but then appear to be Forrest Gump when it comes to something that's actually pretty simple like home theater products (i.e. offer the best quality and state of the art features for a reasonable price offering all the conveniences of the best products that already exist).

For example, if Apple TV had 1080p from the start, a DECENT sized hard drive (even if that meant making SLIGHTLY bigger to fit a 3.5" hard drive; imagine THAT!?!) contained a DVR and Blu-Ray drive with support to convert them to be stored in iTunes automatically (like they do for CDs; a license would make this possible), had a front panel display that at least had a CLOCK on it (rather than just a little led light that does squat) and maybe even display title/artist information so you can see what's playing music-wise when the TV is turned off and don't have to wear out your projector bulb just to see a flipping album cover endlessly...or perhaps offer a cool visualizer to watch while you listen? What's THAT?!? :rolleyes: ), put in place the ability to add features like Netflix support, etc. as they become available (i.e. give the thing proper hardware assisted video decoding) and supported ALL the available formats so you can watch your home movies etc. without having to convert them to M4V and left provisions in place for gaming (and included a "remote" that could be used for gaming ala the "wii") and offered it for around $500, MAYBE just MAYBE the thing would have actually SOLD because it would have the potential to replace most of the home theater gear out there (just add receiver and TV).

THAT is what it would take to be as innovative as an iPhone. Apple TV should be a general purpose computing device with slick controls that can be upgraded to do just about anything you'd want it to do, whether it be a DVR or a cookbook display for the TV in the kitchen/dining room. If it had the proper connections (e.g. input video as well as output it) and the right hardware inside (hardware assisted encoding/decoding) with enough room to store apps/videos/movies (1.5TB 3.5" drives and larger are DIRT CHEAP for goodness sake!), it could do for TV what the iPhone did for smart phones. But no, some of those things MIGHT cannibalize iTunes music/movie sales, so we cannot include them! Never mind that we claim we do not make much profit from selling those sorts of things. We simply CANNOT offer a user-friendly do-everything type device because we want to sell SD 480p movies with low-quality video encoding and Dolby Pro Logic 2-channel sound to people that don't think there is anything better.... :rolleyes:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Interesting—but I really can’t imagine the time being right any time soon: it has very little storage, and a very limited controller (at least without requiring additional products—a path that would make a small market even smaller, and even less attractive to developers).

Releasing a super-limited app store with a few quiz games and weather/Twitter widgets doesn’t sound very useful (nor Apple-like). Let the new AppleTV focus the thing it’s really good at: receiving and controlling network video simply, to your television.

techapocalypse

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
Too bad the TV stations are so stubborn. It's just like the music industry tho, it takes time and lost profits for them to finally cross over.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The right time is when it gets a hard disk, analog audio out and 1080p.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I don't see why people are saying it needs an input controller.

The point isn't that there will be iPhone apps running on the Apple TV.
The point is there will be Apple TV-designed apps running on the Apple TV.

arn

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
How about a wireless link between your iPad touch screen and your TV set.

Then you could in effect have multitouch working on a 42" screen.

You have your fingers on the iPad on your lap but you are looking at your TV

Tummy

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
I can imagine games being available and taking some market from Sony and Nintendo. Since it has BT, maybe you'll be able to pair your PS3 controller, or use your iPhone / iPod touch as a controller.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
it feels like Steve did not mention lots of things on the keynote about ATV.
I can't wait to see folks dissect the new ATV so we can maybe get a better picture of what this device could be capable of.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004

arn

Agreed.

And the new Nano needs apps too. I want a Nano-sized drum machine. :D

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities

arn

I agree. Some people will just never be satisfied. What's keeping them from starting their own company to put out these stellar products they claim everyone is clamoring for instead of incessantly complaining about how Apple just doesn't get it? :confused:

jp102235

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
western us
quit with the 1080p - ok?

take away all internal storage so it's even less useful in some areas, ignore ALL previous customer suggestions (say 1080p?) and hope it sells anyway. :rolleyes:

For example, if Apple TV had 1080p from the start, ... :rolleyes:
1: I have heard there is 16G of flash in :apple:TV

2: ->
Holy cow,
man, I don't know how many times I can say this: you don't need 1080p on an appleTV!!!!!!
the information content of the source material (itunes/anything on ipad) is WAAY WAAAAY below 1080p bit rate capability.
[sarcasm flag on]
you would be much better off buying a set of denon AKDL1's - now _they_ will get you unparalleled audio (and maybe video) performance -
or perhaps you need some speaker wire from http://www.pearcable.com/sub_products_anjou_sc.htm from what I understand you can hear EVERYTHING with those cables.
[sarcast flag off]

seriously, before you rant about video quality - read the handbrake forums and the blue ray to apple tv threads here on MR.

you will find that 1080p is not useful unless you have high bit rate content to show it on.

that is all
j

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Why is the new Apple TV dissapointing? I think it's awesome, I didn't like the idea of syncing and I like how it's cheap.

However, I still wish movies would have the same amount of subtitles and dubbing as DVDs. My parents don't speak English and it would be great if the movies would at least have subtitles or something. That's not possible with the current Apple TV right? I may be wrong but I couldn't find info about it.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Sometimes I TRULY wonder how Steve ever got where he did.

hmm maybe it was inventing desktop publishing w/ the first commercial GUI desktop pc. but i dunno for sure.

For example, if Apple TV had 1080p from the start, a DECENT sized hard drive (even if that meant making SLIGHTLY bigger to fit a 3.5" hard drive; imagine THAT!?!) contained a DVR and Blu-Ray drive with support to convert them to be stored in iTunes automatically (like they do for CDs; a license would make this possible), had a front panel display that at least had a CLOCK on it (rather than just a little led light that does squat) and maybe even display title/artist information so you can see what's playing music-wise when the TV is turned off and don't have to wear out your projector bulb just to see a flipping album cover endlessly...or perhaps offer a cool visualizer to watch while you listen? What's THAT?!? :rolleyes: ), put in place the ability to add features like Netflix support, etc. as they become available (i.e. give the thing proper hardware assisted video decoding) and supported ALL the available formats so you can watch your home movies etc. without having to convert them to M4V and left provisions in place for gaming (and included a "remote" that could be used for gaming ala the "wii") and offered it for around $500

...you mean the Mac Mini? yeah. it does most those things, cost that much, and is sitting under my tv connected via HDMI. have had it for years.

a front panel display that at least had a CLOCK on it

i had to re-quote that. because the world doesnt have enough blinking "12:00" VCRs under their TVs, right!?

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
All I can say is I'm an idiot for selling all my Apple stock at $155!

I'm impressed with where things seem to be going.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.